What's new

Parisian Flea-Market Finds

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the pictured four razors at a Parisian flea market. My reason for doing this is that I would like to practice setting bevels and honing with them before it is time for me to hone one of my newer razors, so that I will know what I am doing when the time comes. In the first pair is a rusty one marked "Solinger Stahl" that appears to be 6/8. Next to it is a Solingen blade made for Omega. In the second pair is a true frame-back blade marked "Paris-Express" made by Ch[arles] Poincet (model no. 1500?) with rather warped horn scales. Next to it is a Thiers-Issard no. 275 at around 5/8.

Thus far, I haven't worked on any of these, apart from the Omega-Solingen. As bought, it was very tarnished, to the point of being nearly as dark as the Poincet horn scales. I have spent around three hours rubbing it with Puma metal polishing paste using 000 and 0000 steel wool and cotton tufts for it to arrive at the shinier state it has now. The result has revealed an overall surface pitting that won't go away unless more drastic measures are taken, although there is absolutely no rust, so I think I would rather just hone it now to see what happens. The Poincet and Thiers-Issard blades are in much better shape and will need just a slight amount of polishing, while the rusty Solinger promises to be another polishing adventure.

As for honing, I have two Japanese combo stones: 1000/6000 and a 1200/8000 for setting and refining the bevel. I also have a small Belgian coticule and a Thiers-Issard paddle strop with their diamond paste on one side and CrO2 on the other. A local dealer here claims that I can use the 1000/6000 and then finish with Cr02, which strikes me as too abrupt, but I am interested to try it just to see what happens there. Otherwise, I would be inclined to go 1200x, 8000x, Belgian coticle, diamond paste, CrO2.

So in posting this long message, I suppose my questions are first, do either of these seem like a good sequence to follow, and second, is it a losing battle to try to shave with the surface-pitted Omega?

Attachments

• $Parisian-Flea-Market-1-(web).jpg
    $Parisian-Flea-Market-1-(web).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 299
  • $Parisian-Flea-Market-2-(web.jpg
    $Parisian-Flea-Market-2-(web.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
1200 to 8000 might be a big jump, but if you are patient you should be fine.

Conversely you could set the bevel on the 1200 and finish on the coti, then pasted strop if you are so inclined.

I think all of those blades can be made shave ready. Great finds!
Use some patient hand wet sanding with 220-2000 grit paper (It'll take hours) should get most of the pitting and all the rust and tarnish off.

Thanks for the remarks and advice, which are both useful and complementary. I have since picked up some 400 and 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper at the local big-box hardware type dealer and spent a couple of hours removing the pitting from the spine and toe of the Omega (dry though, which I suppose is more aggressive, making 400 more like 220 perhaps?). At present, they look like aluminum and I'll have a go at the blade proper next (wet this time). Afterwards, I suppose it's off to 800 grit sand paper, and if I can find it, the finer grits (perhaps in an automotive place). Then on to repeated polishing, and then honing with or without the missing 3000-4000 link. Actually, this is a lot of fun and discovery for me.

Last edited:
The Paris Express and Thiers Issard are beautiful. I wish I could stumble upon French straight razors when antiquing. What are you going to do with them when you've finished honing them?

The Paris Express and Thiers Issard are beautiful. I wish I could stumble upon French straight razors when antiquing. What are you going to do with them when you've finished honing them?

Thanks for your interest; I'm lucky to be in France for a while. Assuming that I succeed in honing the razors, my intention is to shave with them for starters, and if they are to my liking, to work them into my regular rotation. If not, then I may well put them up for sale here on B&B as I am not into collecting razors just to look at them at the present time. Of the four, the Poincet Paris-Express is the one that interests me the most, since it is probably the oldest and the shape differs significantly from the others. But the main thing is for me to have a couple of dinged-up razors to practice on first and that's where the more ubiquitous Solingen blades come in. If I don't think I can handle it with the Poincet (the spine is not parallel to the bevel for one thing), I might send it off to a professional restorer and then at least try it out for starters before putting it up for sale, if and when the time comes. But that's down the road a bit.

Last edited:
Thought I'd check back in to say that I have made the Omega-Solingen razor shave-ready and shaved with it today. The long sequence was as follows:

wet/dry sandpaper (with water): 240x, 600x, 1200x, 1500x (highest grit at the local automotive store; wrapped paper around a PVC tube for the hollows;
honing: 1000x/6000x Japanese combo water stone (1000x to set the bevel, 6000x to sharpen it);
stropping: Puma sharpening strop (1st side chrome oxide, 2nd side Russian leather), followed by Dovo linen/Russian leather strop just prior to shaving.

All in all, the razor gave me a nice close shave, without much "burn." It's an extra full-hollow, not unlike a Filarmonica no. 12. The blade felt a bit raw, perhaps due to the 6000x finalizing, with the end-result feeling as close to a safety-razor as I've come with a straight. Perhaps final honing on a yellow-white coticule next time will make things more silken, although I appreciate the raw feel as I have a very tough beard, so maybe a green coticule would be better.

Anyway, this has been lots of fun thus far...

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You sound like a patient man who enjoys the "process". I would encourage you to try setting a bevel on the 1200, and finishing the edge on a coti with the diluticot method. It seems your honing stroke is sound, so all you need to learn would be the dilution of the slurry. Edges off a coti are quite nice, and can be enhanced with your pastes too.

When you're able, would you post some photos of the restored Omega?

As requested, here are some shots I took yesterday, at around sunset (orange flare on third shot is a reflection). Not the most artful restoration, I know; it is my first attempt to make a worn and blackened razor shave-ready. The bevel as set could be longer, and I got carried away with filing the pivot post, leaving some scratching on the scales. Pitting as shown had to stay (240x by hand) or else I'd still be working on it at Christmas. Think I'll have another go at rehoning it soon, following Kentos's suggestions (the new pivot post being a temporary brass threaded one).

Attachments

• $OmgSolRest1.jpg
    $OmgSolRest1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 114
  • $OmgSolRest2.jpg
    $OmgSolRest2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 114
  • $OmgSolRest3.jpg
    $OmgSolRest3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114
  • $OmgSolRest4.jpg
    $OmgSolRest4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Nice finds! Which markets are you going too? I'll be in Paris in 3 weeks time and I suspect that I might be dragging the poor suffering wife around a number of Parisian markets looking for coupe choux's

Top Bottom