What's new

Opinion on pasted strops?

I have the Chromium Oxide (crayon) for my linen component. In you opinion, which is better, the paste on the strop itself or the linen? How about the Diamond Spray? Does that beat the pasted strop or is it all about the same?

its personal preference, buteither way, put it on a seperate strop to your usual one.

I made a balsa strop and pasted it, so I can still use regular linen and leather everyday.

Yea i have several practice strops from when i first started and i ordered the crayon thinking i could put it on the strop. It wasn't until it arrived that i found out it was for the linen component. I have been using it for several months now and was just wondering if i should get the paste. If there is no differance between the two then it would be a waste of money and i will just stick with the crayon.

Yea i have several practice strops from when i first started and i ordered the crayon thinking i could put it on the strop. It wasn't until it arrived that i found out it was for the linen component. I have been using it for several months now and was just wondering if i should get the paste. If there is no differance between the two then it would be a waste of money and i will just stick with the crayon.

My understanding is that the crayon is the same stuff as is in a paste or spray, but is held instead in a solid binder (wax of some kind, perhaps?). Just rub it on your choice of substrate (I use a cotton canvas strop for my pastes, but want to experiment with smooth leather as well...), and have at it, it should work just fine.

Top Bottom