What's new

Opera Suggestions

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have to disagree. One doesn't start with complete operas, but with arias, which is the great thing about operas, that they are great but can be enjoyed in extracts called arias.

I have to recommend discs of arias sung by Jussi Bjorling on Naxos Historical. Any are great. They will haunt your child forever and may be the inspiration he needs to become musical. His voice is not-quite human, perhaps angelic.

A big +1 for Bjoerling. And also for Fritz Wunderlich, who would have been a superstar had he not died tragically young.

Recently took my 8 and 15 yr old boys with SWMBO to the NYC Opera - Performance of Pirates of Penzance. Reasoning was that it is in English, is funny and goofy sort of like Monty Python comes to Opera, and it is very very short. They had a good time, and I would recommend it for the knee high crowd.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Recently took my 8 and 15 yr old boys with SWMBO to the NYC Opera - Performance of Pirates of Penzance. Reasoning was that it is in English, is funny and goofy sort of like Monty Python comes to Opera, and it is very very short. They had a good time, and I would recommend it for the knee high crowd.

There's a televised version of POP floating around out there, with Lynda Rhonstadt (sp??) in one of the lead roles, which is a treat.

Well, it isn't Opera by far, but no musical education can be complete without Tchaikovsky. It's my favorite classical music - both to listen to and play. Symphony No 4 is one of my favorites of the favorites - awesome opening for the horn section. It's definitely more interesting than most classical stuff, so it enjoys quite a bit of exposure to the average public.

There is nothing on the planet like Verdi's Otello. It was a seminal moment in my life when I first saw it. There are lots of good recordings, but I have a special place in my heart for the Domingo/Milnes/Scotto rendition. Soul wrenching....

Wow......As I read your post Scotto, I had the exact recording playing on my computer. Based on your earlier recommendation, I picked Otello up (same performers) and I have to say......Your opinion of it is spot on.

IMO, listening to this just takes me away to another place.......

-Scott

I am not well versed in the individual opera recordings, but I can offer what is IMO and outstanding introduction for the novice. The Movies Go To The Opera recorded on the EMI label. 16 cuts playing just over 71 minutes of very entertaining and familiar musical glimpses into the world of opera. I have use the Wagner: Die Walkure - Rise of the Valkyries selection as one of my standard musical pieces for auditioning various audio equipment.

Thanks to all the respondees, I will be searching for some of these recordings as possible additions to my music library.

My favorite opera is the one with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. I don't know the title (The Hare of Seville?), but one of the memorable parts goes "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit".

Of course, I have viewed "A Night at the Opera" with the immortal Marx Brothers many times.

M

modern man

Since this thread was dug up almost a year after it started I have to ask

John, Dose your kid still like Opera?

I was just going to post an update. The answer is very much yes. I received a CD of favorite arias by a very nice gentleman of this forum. We listened to it in the car on our way to dinner last night. My son was clapping at the end of every aria and calls it his "special music". I can't tell you how nice it was to listen to that instead of Veggie Tales or Seasame Street for the 43,639th time.

I haven't seen him completely fixated on it like that one night in the restaurant, but I believe that had something to do with the lady singing to him only a few feet away. It's always better live.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There is nothing on the planet like Verdi's Otello. It was a seminal moment in my life when I first saw it. There are lots of good recordings, but I have a special place in my heart for the Domingo/Milnes/Scotto rendition. Soul wrenching....

Maybe I know why it's your favourite?? (But seriously, Otello is one of Domingo's 'signature roles', maybe the top one of his career, so this should be a decent recording!!)

My favorite opera is the one with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. I don't know the title (The Hare of Seville?), but one of the memorable parts goes "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit".

Of course, I have viewed "A Night at the Opera" with the immortal Marx Brothers many times.

I am aware of two Bugs Bunny opera cartoons ... one is based on Wagner, with Elmer Fudd, and that's the one with the 'kill the wabbit'. He also did one based on the Barber of Seville ... I suspect you have the title right ... which doubtless featured that favourite of cartoon arias, the figaro-figaro-figaro thing. And I also remember a rendition of The Blue Danube, which put the Ugly Duckling story to the Strauss waltz.

M

modern man

I was just going to post an update. The answer is very much yes. I received a CD of favorite arias by a very nice gentleman of this forum. We listened to it in the car on our way to dinner last night. My son was clapping at the end of every aria and calls it his "special music". I can't tell you how nice it was to listen to that instead of Veggie Tales or Seasame Street for the 43,639th time.

I haven't seen him completely fixated on it like that one night in the restaurant, but I believe that had something to do with the lady singing to him only a few feet away. It's always better live.

That is Awesome!

We put on the music stations from Comcast to figure you what my son likes, so far Mexicana is the hands down winner. :smile:

Top Bottom