What's new

Newbys Second Razor

Thankyou for the board. This is my first post. I have lurked for a while. I have wet shaved with a Merkur HD for 2 months. I think I am proficient. I get good shaves consistently and have tried about 5 blades. My question is what should my next razor be. I want something more agressive. The HD seems tame and I am currently using irridiums. I absolutley love the quality of the razor. I am nervous to get an adjustable it they are not solid. Should I get an adjustable, a slant or try to find a fix razor with a wider gap. If so how much wider should the gap be. I don't mind getting an old one off ebay either because I think it would be cool to own and use and 50 year old plus razor. Thanks.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
You could beat a man to death with a Gillette adjustable and give him a darned good shave afterward.

+2+ Look to the B/S/T for an adjustable Gillette, or post a Wanted to Buy. Much higher quality than the Merkurs, and a better value for sure.

A Progress will dial up more aggressively, but they're not trouble free, some have uneven blade gaps. I've got a Slim adjustable, and I don't think it's any more aggressive than a HD, even dialled way up.

But slants and open combs seem to be regarded as more aggressive than most.

I've had the HD for a few months and it only seems tamer because I use it better. You could try sharper blades first, like Feathers.

I started out with a Gillette Tech (22 mm gap) about 3 months ago (yup, only been doing this 3 months...) and got bored with it pretty quickly. After that, I bought a Gillette Red Tip (26 mm gap) which has kept me getting great shaves for the last 2.5 months or so. Since then, I've purchased probably a dozen razors to try out different ones, since I've started to crave a little more aggressive razor. Of the adjustables I've purchased, I think I'd have to say I like the Gillete Super Adjustable black-handled, long Super Speed. The long handle is nice and the razor does a great job.

From the razor aggressiveness chart available on the B&B wiki, it looks like you're probably going to want to go with one of the gillette adjustables or merkur adjustables if you're looking for something much more aggressive than the HD, which is a tad more aggressive than the Red Tip.

Top Bottom