What's new

Newbie kind of found the answer!

Top of the morning chaps!

Just today, when I was sanding myself bored out of my mind(240 grit), I got impatient. Couldn't go and buy the 80 grit wet and dry and all the other sandpaper around the house was for wood. So I went on my way, looking for dremel-like bits I could use on a drill.:scared:

Don't worry, I did not find them. What I did notice was a belt of a belt sander that was cut. It was 40 grit and actually not sanding paper, but sanding linnen, it looked like it really can handle a beating.(Turns out: it can!:w00t:) I was a little reluctant at first, but I thought: what the heck, I've got a pit that won't come out.

So I got cracking! Man does that ever do the job! Just being careful not to nick the scales(definitely a no-go on gold-plating:w00t:), it really delivered. It really ate away the steel(but pits can be a :mad2::mad2::mad2:) All and all, it took me about an hour and a half to remove the pit and with that, one side of my blade was done.(I suppose the scratches from hone wear are evened out enough so I can eliminate them in the higher grit passes.) Anyway, it really got the job done relatively fast and safe(only one little cut in my finger, due to carelessness) and it's CHEAP, apposed to buffing(which has it's safety issues too, I don't have any experience with the quality).

Anyhow, I sure hope using 40 doesn't mean HOURS of trying to remove its own scratches:001_unsur.

Now: let the noobtrolling begin.(Because I claim I kind of found the answer.)

Legion

Staff member
If it works for you, great!

Personally I wouldn't go that course. As you said, those scratches are going to be tough to get out.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'm glad it worked for you...nothing sucks more than rubbing your fingers raw on sandpaper.
The only fear I would have is if you rubbed in deep scratches near the edge. There has been some theorizing that deep gouges lead to micropitting in the later stages of honing.

Ok, I've now REALLY found the answer and it was waiting for me in the wiki all the time: a flap wheel drill bit! Love it!

Please do tell how the rest of the honing goes and if you have any sudden surprises towards the end. I'm doing a lot of work with diamond hones of late due to some edge integrity issues on a couple blades. Slow work!

Top Bottom