What's new

New razor will not hold or take a good edge

The reason I ask is, a bunch of years ago there was some Boker gear selling on Ebay for very low $$....
IMO, it was counterfeit. Those blades wouldn't take an edge either. Crumbling apex, etc.
I've seen similar stuff with other shaving gear - AOS soaps being sold for cheap but shipping from China when we all knew that the soap was being made in Italy. The stuff never lathered correctly, def fake.
The prices in both cases were, proverbially, 'too good to be true'.

One blade off the line being bad, I can see that happening once in a while.
But two in a row, sold to one person. Hmmmm.
Honestly, if it was me, I'd contact Dovo...see what they have to say about it.

The reason I ask is, a bunch of years ago there was some Boker gear selling on Ebay for very low $$....
IMO, it was counterfeit. Those blades wouldn't take an edge either. Crumbling apex, etc.
I've seen similar stuff with other shaving gear - AOS soaps being sold for cheap but shipping from China when we all knew that the soap was being made in Italy. The stuff never lathered correctly, def fake.

Might be worth an email. However, only one of the tow razors was bad. i have now over 15 shaves on the other one. It is still doing fine with a nice JNAT edge.
The problematic one had a smile that looked to me like it had been put in to correct something. The only way i can see this happening is if they lifted the spine on the wheel, and somehow burnt the edge. The edge looked like a chainsaw when i got it.

Legion

Staff member

Could be "factory seconds". Ones sold as a job lot by the factory that were not 100%, or that had been returned for a credit by dealers.

I recently got two identical Dovo 5/8 razor. They were on sale, so 50% means get two pay for one, right:)

One of the razors came with a slight frown, while the other one had slight smile to it.
The first razor i honed took a good edge in a short time with a minimal amount of effort.
However, the second razor seems to suffer from some kind of overheating, or something caused by the bevel setting grinding at the factory.
The razor will not take a good edge. When i finally got a good edge, it failed during my first shave.

I have tried without tape, and with tape. I have used different types of synthetic and natural stones, with the same results.
When i use a white shapton glass stone i need to rinse the stone frequently, because larger bits of steel releases from the razor. I have only seen this with really hard steels, like one of my Hart razors. I have never seen this with Dovo razors.
The edge have been rehoned, from bevel set three times, with the same outcome.

This is the smiling razor. To me it seems like this was corrected by someone who burnt the edge on the grinding wheel.
There is also something strange going on with the grind. My only explanation is that the spine was lifted on the grinding wheel.

Is there any hope for this type of razor. If the edge have been burnt, is there any chance of getting to "good steel" at some point?

Does anyone have any experiance with this type of issue?
These people are in Norway so I doubt you will get any relief from them. I would contest the transaction with my credit card company. You should not have to take a hit on this. Good luck!

Top Bottom