What's new

New CPAP user . what now

I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a cpap machine at night. I feel very fortunate that it took no "getting used" to it period - in fact, according to the machine I sleep 9 hours and 5 minutes the first night of use and have an average of more than 7 hours use every night. The machine has blue tooth and when I checked the web site I scored the first night and scored 96 out of 100 - it has been a month and my lowest score has been a 94. Everything appears to be going well - returned to my sleep doc yesterday who stated I was in 100% compliance and ask how much better I felt. Well, here is the rub - I don't really feel any different than before other than maybe not wanting a late afternoon nap. What everyone keeps telling me is you SHOULD feel so much better - but I don't. It has helped SWMBO by eliminating my snoring - which, apparently was loud, I don't know I was asleep.
I was told my apnea was bad - I stopped breathing 74 times and hour and my low O2 level was 68%. So, what now? Is there really a time where it "feels" so much better?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The beneficial affects are cumulative especially with improved mental alertness. A heads up always tell your Doctor you feel much better. If you say you didn't and he writes that down sending it to the insurance company they may stop covering it. Best of luck! My cpap has changed my life...and marriage!

I've used a CPAP for over a year and like you, can stay awake in the afternoons now. The biggest realization for me was that I couldn't remember the last time I'd had dreams - I never got down into the REM sleep cycle - I've had some of the most vivid (and funny) dreams in the last year... I think overall I'm more rested and it's affected all areas of my life.

well... Mind, I'm one of those folk who live with someone with a CPAP - though I may be a candidate myself. However, the thing is, oxygen depravation can be a long slow disease which steals your functionality over time and makes it harder to realize it's happening. I'd give it a good month of use before making any personal judgements on how things are going... although it's possible your Doctor may see those improvements first.

If you don't have one, they're cheap these days, an oxygen blood concentration monitor is a good thing to have around. It's not specifically pointed at how well you're doing at night; most people don't read them while they are asleep... but it can give you a snapshot if you wake in the middle of the night to see if there's a change in your %O2.

This is also a tool you can use during the day; if you find your numbers dipping during the day it is something you want to tell your doctor and see what his/her take is. As I mention, they're in the 50 to 100 $ range, only a waypoint, and not a specific medical device used to diagnose anything with.

I can tell you, if you've been experiencing the problems you mention, it's serious and you need to keep up with it. You may find, after a time that the old mask may not do it for you any longer, there are many, many masks out there and the insurance should allow you to seek out the best for you. Good journey and remember: You discovered something important you didn't know. You know it Now. No, it isn't too late. There's still a lot of things to do! Go do them!

I've been using a CPAP for about 10 years now. For me the only immediate change was my hour long commute home. There were times I had to do all sorts of things to keep myself awake at the wheel. Once I started sleeping with the dream machine that disappeared completely. Over the long haul, my dreams are so much better!

This is probably bad medical advice, but if you don't think the CPAP is helping you might try going without it for one night and then reassess the situation. I considered my CPAP to be a nice thing to have but not critical until the first time I forgot it on an overnight trip.

Now it's the first thing that goes in the car when I head out to the country and I keep a spare CPAP at the apartment in town in case I leave it at the country house on accident.

I've been using a CPAP for over a year. I had mild sleep apnea (stop breathing 15 times an hour). You mentioned that you don't take the afternoon naps anymore. That is the same for me and that is indeed a benifit. The biggest improvement for me (and especially my wife) is it has COMPLETELY eliminated my snoring. According to the sleep study I was a 'Champion' snorer. It was getting to the point my wife would sleep downstairs. She now says I never snore when wearing the mask (nasal pillows). Much better than surgery for sure.

So, what now? Is there really a time where it "feels" so much better?

I've been using mine for almost a year. I never equated it with a life changing experience, but I had a few observations that I count as positives.

I stopped having to get up once or twice a night to pee.
I stopped nodding off in afternoon meetings where I wasn't an active participant.
I stopped nodding off in traffic jams on the way home.
I stopped snoring, a couple times I had a swollen uvula because i fell asleep sitting up in the family room overnight.

I've been using mine for almost a year. I never equated it with a life changing experience, but I had a few observations that I count as positives.

I stopped having to get up once or twice a night to pee.
I had forgotten about that one. yes, I was always up at least once a night and I thought it was because I had to pee, but it was really because my body was up so my mind made the connection "I must need to pee." The only times since CPAP that I've had to get up for nighttime relief is after drinking a gallon of iced tea at an evening movie.

We want to hear more about the dreams!

I've used a CPAP for over a year and like you, can stay awake in the afternoons now. The biggest realization for me was that I couldn't remember the last time I'd had dreams - I never got down into the REM sleep cycle - I've had some of the most vivid (and funny) dreams in the last year... I think overall I'm more rested and it's affected all areas of my life.

Well, thanks for the input - as u said I have had zero trouble adjusting to the machine and mask. It has on,y been a month and my sleep doc is very pleased with the numbers. I guess I will just have to wait and hope all the reported benefits to reveal themselves ....

Hey russhatch if you've had zero trouble adjusting to it, keep using it.

Anyone who is having trouble with their CPAP should do their best to consult their doctor and iron out the kinks and persist with it. The benefits of CPAP for people with OSA are massive, but not always visible to the naked eye or readily apparent at first.

1. Most people lose weight when they are on CPAP because their energy levels are higher and they can do more physical activity.
2. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes it tends to get a lot easier to control.
3. The low oxygen levels from sleep apnoea are extremely bad for your heart and lungs and can cause major, life threatening medical problems in the long term. Your CPAP may well prevent you from having a crapped out heart in ten years time.
4. The improved sleep has long term benefits in terms of mental function, mood and quality of life that you might not notice until you miss a night or two or using your CPAP.

I'm a doctor and I see loads of people who have been diagnosed with OSA but don't use their CPAP. They all get the long term health problems that could have been avoided - high blood pressure, heart disease, weight gain, type 2 diabetes, poor sleep, cognitive impairment and depression.

I think you're pretty lucky that you've taken to your CPAP so well. Don't stop using it and always take it to hospital with you if you're having any kind of procedure and spending the night in hospital.

Rant ended.

Been a hose head for 4+ years. Hate it, have not had a full nights sleep since I started, but cannot sleep a lick without it. As soon as I doze off I start choking and coughing. Can't even sneak in a nap without it.

Complained of afternoon fatigue at my physical. Doc said lets get a sleep study, I told him I go to bed, sleep without waking 6-7 hours and get up feeling OK. He persisted and I went. Had an AHI of 75. Now I stay below 3, but like I said can't get a good nights sleep. I'm a mouth breather, tried chinstraps, many different masks. I also cannot sleep on my back. Use a full face mask and when I roll over the pillow breaks the seal to my face waking me. I've tried CPAP pillows, overhead supports. etc.

Sleep doc hates seeing me in her office. Currently hitting the Ambien CR hard trying to get sleep in. She's out of ideas.

Hey russhatch if you've had zero trouble adjusting to it, keep using it.

Anyone who is having trouble with their CPAP should do their best to consult their doctor and iron out the kinks and persist with it. The benefits of CPAP for people with OSA are massive, but not always visible to the naked eye or readily apparent at first.

1. Most people lose weight when they are on CPAP because their energy levels are higher and they can do more physical activity.
2. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes it tends to get a lot easier to control.
3. The low oxygen levels from sleep apnoea are extremely bad for your heart and lungs and can cause major, life threatening medical problems in the long term. Your CPAP may well prevent you from having a crapped out heart in ten years time.
4. The improved sleep has long term benefits in terms of mental function, mood and quality of life that you might not notice until you miss a night or two or using your CPAP.

I'm a doctor and I see loads of people who have been diagnosed with OSA but don't use their CPAP. They all get the long term health problems that could have been avoided - high blood pressure, heart disease, weight gain, type 2 diabetes, poor sleep, cognitive impairment and depression.

I think you're pretty lucky that you've taken to your CPAP so well. Don't stop using it and always take it to hospital with you if you're having any kind of procedure and spending the night in hospital.

Rant ended.

Rant well received. I wish I could pass out in the recliner on a Sunday afternoon without my CPAP, but I cannot sleap without it. Has killed camping for me. But I no longer fall asleep behind the wheel and my energy levels have zoomed. I've been sleeping with one over 10 years now.

I'd agree that the benefits certainly out weigh the bad parts, though I understand the frustration of them.
The fact that you're not having any issues is very good. I was very similar, though I noticed feeling better almost immediately. I have not had a throat type infection or a cold which I regularly had for over a year (minus a bad flu bug that my family, and everyone in my office got just a few weeks ago) I also had swollen uvula a number of times, very likely from snoring. In fact if I fall asleep without my Cpap I always wake up with a sore throat and usually have a pretty miserable day. My snoring isn't 100% gone but it's a lot more bearable to the family. Was on my annual fishing trip this past fall where I always was given a single room cause of the snoring and I actually got a roommate this time :(
Regardless, keep at it, my guess is that you will notice what you're missing the first night you forget or if you fall asleep on the couch.
Also a word of advice is if you're insurance allows it, replace your mask and equipment every six months or so, FOr me I get a noticeable decrease in seals and sleep score as my mask gets older.

I am glad I'm reading this thread. I have been on the fence about using a CPAP machine. My doctor and nurse say I need it and yea a lot of times I have very low energy and doze off a lot. I did a sleep study a while back and it was highly recommended for me to use it by the guy running the study. I have heard some benefits of going on it like losing weight. I didn't know anything about not getting depressed or avoiding depression. Thanks I'm highly reconsidering it. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom