What's new

Need help identifying straight razor

Anyone ever see a Solingen razor with these (I am assuming) Japanese characters? Thanks.
IMG_1731.jpeg
IMG_1733.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I've seen Sheffield razors with fake Chinese/Japanese writing on the tang. They were made at a time when Asian stuff was fashionable, and the writing didn't really say anything.

The writing on this one looks a bit more legit, so maybe it was made for export.

I've seen Sheffield razors with fake Chinese/Japanese writing on the tang. They were made at a time when Asian stuff was fashionable, and the writing didn't really say anything.

The writing on this one looks a bit more legit, so maybe it was made for export.

I was thinking that it looks more fake.
But I don't really know.

There's a resource that you might be able to find online, "German Cutlers and Toolmakers" by John Walter. It has a great many brands and verbal descriptions of their maker's marks, no drawings though-- although it doesn't have every maker, even some of the more common ones.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that quite matched this razor in there, assuming the logo is a AW or a WA monogram (which it may not be). Can you make out what the little symbols are inside the logo?

@Eshebert,
I assume that this razor was manufactured by "Alcoso-Werk" in Solingen for the Japanese market.
I took the liberty of making an enlargement of your picture (I hope you agree) and copying it into a photo of one of my razors to show that the two tiny symbols (circled by me in blue) on the left and right above the “WA” are identical with the symbol on the tang of razor. My own razor was manufactured by the Alcoso works.

SR Alcoso Solingen Scales AWS.jpg

The two larger letters "W" above "A" probably represent another reminiscence of the name "Alcoso-Werk". It seems that this specific composition of symbols in the trademark of your razor is probably not well known, at least I have not seen it before.

The Alcoso works go back to the Alexander Coppel company, which was founded in Solingen in 1821.
A trade directory from the 1960s states that the company had representatives in most countries around the world and exported its products within Europe and overseas, so it is no surprise to find their products in Japan.

The history of the company Alexander Coppel is well summarized in the book "J. Anthony Carter: German Knife and Sword Makers, The definitive directory of makers and marks, from 1850 to 1945, International Military Antiques, Inc., 2015", but you can find a lot in the internet as well.

Thank you so much. I got the razor in bad shape. Had to make it a shorty due to big chip on the toe. The reason I put the effort in was the cool Japanese script.

@Eshebert,
I assume that this razor was manufactured by "Alcoso-Werk" in Solingen for the Japanese market.
I took the liberty of making an enlargement of your picture (I hope you agree) and copying it into a photo of one of my razors to show that the two tiny symbols (circled by me in blue) on the left and right above the “WA” are identical with the symbol on the tang of razor. My own razor was manufactured by the Alcoso works.

View attachment 1722036

The two larger letters "W" above "A" probably represent another reminiscence of the name "Alcoso-Werk". It seems that this specific composition of symbols in the trademark of your razor is probably not well known, at least I have not seen it before.

The Alcoso works go back to the Alexander Coppel company, which was founded in Solingen in 1821.
A trade directory from the 1960s states that the company had representatives in most countries around the world and exported its products within Europe and overseas, so it is no surprise to find their products in Japan.

The history of the company Alexander Coppel is well summarized in the book "J. Anthony Carter: German Knife and Sword Makers, The definitive directory of makers and marks, from 1850 to 1945, International Military Antiques, Inc., 2015", but you can find a lot in the internet as well.

I'm impressed that you were able to recognize the smudges
which you circled in blue,
as being miniaturizations of the tang stamp logo.

Top Bottom