What's new

Natural Japanese v's Belgian Coticule

I recently purchased a Japanese Honyama natural water stone(7"x3") from www.LeeValley.com in Canada and a natural Japanese Nagura stone from [url]www.dick.biz in Germany.

I already have a Belgian coticule (5"x2") with a cotigura.

The coticule puts a fine edge on a blade and removes metal quicker with a slurry and polishes better with just water or even better dry. I would say that the cutting range goes from 6000 grit with a slurry to 8000+ grit dry. I have found only one problem with the coticule and that is that I have to use a very light touch to achieve a razor edge and any heavy handedness destroys the edge very quickly. I know this because I am naturally heavy handed and about as delicate as steam roller. This said, the Belgian coticule is a wonderful tool and I have had much success with mine particularly on carbon steel razors.

The Japanese stone works very differently. You get a better cutting action with just water and an excellent polishing action with a slurry from the Nagura stone. I hate quoting grit sizes, but I think the Honyama stone has a range from 6000 to 12000. I say this because this stone will take a blade that has been honed on a 2000 grit wet and dry to a standard of polish that is significantly better than I can get with my coticule. I can go from the hone to a leather strop and achieve a smooth shave time after time. Most importantly for me, the hone is more forgiving of my heavy handedness.

Incidentally, the key to the high grit polishing is the natural slurry from the Nagura rubbing stone.

As to feel, the coticule is like sand compared to the Honyama which is like clay. The coticule feels hard and abrasive whilst the honyama is soft and clawing.

Very different hones with very different characteristics.

My maruichi nakayama asagi also feels clay-like - I think that's basically all they really are is clay; the magic is in the trace minerals in the clay. I don't find it to be very forgiving (though more so than my shaptons), but it does produce a really smooth sharp edge.

I'm such a hone whore...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know the feeling. Every time I go to Korin in the city, I have to be dragged away from some of these, kicking and screaming.

full

Prices are not a misprint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the japanese stones are clay based and its the alumina in the clay that does the magic. Also most of the old japanese finishing stones are categorized by many different grades and within each grade there are many subgrades. So I believe those prices. As a matter of fact for a top stone, top grade I think many would say those are cheap.

My maruichi nakayama asagi also feels clay-like - I think that's basically all they really are is clay; the magic is in the trace minerals in the clay. I don't find it to be very forgiving (though more so than my shaptons), but it does produce a really smooth sharp edge.
I'm such a hone whore...

+1. My Maruka Maruichi Nakayama from So is a great hone. It improves the edge after the Y/G Escher!

Top Bottom