What's new

Name That Nagura?

As the title suggests what are these Nagura's? I'm sure one is a Mejiro as I believe using translate it says "special grade Mejiro" but the other two I got I can't figure it out. Can anyone please offer me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_085337.jpg
    IMG_20240302_085337.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240302_085437.jpg
    IMG_20240302_085437.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
The relevant stamp is hōbōyō (鋒鋩用). Basically it means that the nagura is ungraded for stratum. There is a discussion on the Japanese natural stones thread that these were sold to use for flattening your whetstones high points out, hence the thin profile. Can't find the discussion now!

Edit: found it! Here you see a few more like yours

Last edited:
Thanks very much, I kinda thought this was going to be the case, as I could remember reading about the ungraded naguras, I just couldn't find anything. They are basically dressing stones.

I'll go and have a read up of the linked list. 👍

My Nagura Is Missing a Layer/Strata Designation. What Is It?
Often there are smaller pieces of Mikawa Nagura which may be marked as 释硭用 are given out in smaller sets or as additions to a larger purchase. These will have the Asano stamp and the Mikawa mine stamp on them, but no other strata/layer/use designation stamp. Little Mikawa Nagura like this are often referred to as Ho-Bo and are used traditionally to chamfer off the edges of a stone as it wears down from the use of the main Nagura. Ho-Bo can be from any of the strata layers, but are usually from Botan/Tenjyou/Mejiro layers. They are a lot of fun to test out and see what you get from a few of them, but will be quite small and assure you no level of specific performance.

If you have a larger Nagura which isn’t marked 释硭用 but still no designation and is marked Mikawa, it is likely a misplaced piece of stock or the strata wasn’t recorded when it was stored – leaving it difficult to stamp properly. It could also be a reject during the evaluation process where it performs too far out of spec for its usual use to be stamped as Botan/Tenjyou/etc. These are almost never marked with the “Asano” stamp, but I felt it was still important to briefly touch on them given their Mikawa origin. Nothing is wrong with these Nagura and they can be used just as well as the rest of them, but it will require you to test it yourself – take care when doing so as you may chip your razor’s edge if it ends up being a coarser version.

Those are Ink Stone Nagura.

All of the typical Nagura, Botan, Koma, etc, can/should/would be used, sometimes, as a 'corrective' type, choosing one over another would depend on the base stone, task at hand, and desired surface condition. Keeping stones flat, and refreshed, is one of the main purposes of any of those Nagura.

Had time to circle back to this, so for the sake of clarity...
Ink Stone Nagura are made, were sized and stamped as such, on special request for an Ink Stone maker. The stamp refers to the irregularities of an ink stone's surface.
Typically made from Botan or Tenjyou, the quality is usually low when compared to typical Asano Stamped Mikawa Nagura from those strata.
As such, not recommended for razor work or serious sharpening.

In a way, their existence is similar to the 'souvenir' Nagura that most here probably haven't seen, but maybe a few have heard about.

That's the accurate story.

Had time to circle back to this, so for the sake of clarity...
Ink Stone Nagura are made, were sized and stamped as such, on special request for an Ink Stone maker. The stamp refers to the irregularities of an ink stone's surface.
Typically made from Botan or Tenjyou, the quality is usually low when compared to typical Asano Stamped Mikawa Nagura from those strata.
As such, not recommended for razor work or serious sharpening.

In a way, their existence is similar to the 'souvenir' Nagura that most here probably haven't seen, but maybe a few have heard about.

That's the accurate story.
Thanks for your detailed explanations very helpful indeed.. I've tested them in terms of are they damaging the edge and while ones very soft I don't believe it's doing any damage. I just got my first proper nagura in the post right now, a rather large (to me anyway) Mejiro, I'll be trying it out today.
Thanks again for your input.
James

Oh ok apologies, I'm always saying to my wife and child to not assume as it can lead to misconceptions, I guess I'm still learning.. 👍

Top Bottom