What's new

Montblanc opinion

Good morning,

My girlfriend offered me yesterday a Montblanc Meisterstück Chopin for my birthday. To be honest, I have a lot of doubts concerning this fountain pen.

I think it's an overrated and pricely product, the 'so-called' resine looks like plastic and the piece seems very fragile.

I have a Parker Sonnet which is really less expansive but it looks greats, it performs well and it is built like a tank.

What do you think about?

Good morning,

My girlfriend offered me yesterday a Montblanc Meisterstück Chopin for my birthday. To be honest, I have a lot of doubts concerning this fountain pen.

I think it's an overrated and pricely product, the 'so-called' resine looks like plastic and the piece seems very fragile.

I have a Parker Sonnet which is really less expansive but it looks greats, it performs well and it is built like a tank.

What do you think about?

MB are not bad Pens but a lot of the cost is the name.

I am not that familiar with the Montblanc Meisterstück Chopin but I have seen it on display and it does look nice.....
Anyway, I have a Montblanc Meisterstück (75th anniversary model, ball point) and find it a wonderful pen. I think the body is the same resin you mentioned but it appears to be durable. The manufacturing detail of the pen is of a very high standard and the quality is excellent.
Maybe if the Chopin is not to your liking there is another model in the range you could choose (even cheaper than the Chopin but still very nice)?:smile:

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the Montblancs. I've bought 3 and I haven't been impressed with any of them. I'm far from an expert, but I think you can get a much better pen for less money. I recently picked up a Pelikan M200 for less than $100 and IMO it is a much, much, much better pen than the MB's and it's a lot less.

Good luck and regardless it was a very thoughtful gesture.

I have owned three MB pens over the last 30 years. Two were lost/stolen, one actually broke in half somehow and left the male and female ends forever threaded together. Beyond that I did not find any of them to be the most comfortable writing instruments I ever used. My Rotring was a good, if overweight, writer. My hands down favorite was and still is my Tombow rollerball in tortoise shell. When folks at the office have a sudden need for a pen I rarely hand that one over, preferring instead to reach into the cup on my desk for a "company stick pen" to give them.
YMMV however, and I still covet the MB Alexandre Dumas edition.

I have a Chopin; I was attracted mainly by the fact that it's silver (platinum) rather than the usual gold, and slimmer than the large Montblancs. It takes cartridges or an adapter, which is a breach of style or a convenience, depending on your opinion or taste. - I can't say I write terribly well with it (though my handwriting is pretty atrocious: but it doesn't help!) and I agree that you're shelling out for the name and the design, though I happen to love the latter. It's a nice pen, but if you have doubts or are just looking for a good fountain pen, you may be better off with a Pelikan.

Montblanc = overpriced.

If you want a flashy pen that will be immediatly recognizable as expensive, then go with a Montblanc.

The resin is brittle and I and others have had pens break during normal usage and the cost to replace any part of a Montblanc is exorbitant.

If you actually want to use a fountain pen for everyday use, Pelikan is a great pen for the same or less money - many people consider the 800 series as the benchmark by which other pens are judged - it will write circles around any Montblanc fountain pen. The 800 series is a good size for most men - I have average sized hands and the 800 works great for me, as well as others with larger hands.

The only issue for some is that the Pelikans are piston fill, which means you have to use bottled ink (they don't accept cartridges). On the upside, they hold a lot of ink, which is great if you use your pen a lot.

If you're looking for a simple pen that writes well, the Lamy 2000 is a fantastic pen at a great price. Again, its a pistion fill (and the mechanism is a little more delicate than the Pelikan), which isn't an issue for me since I use converters instead of cartridges in all my pens, so don't mind having to use bottled ink.

If you let us know what you're looking for in a fountain pen, I'm sure people here will be able to give you some suggestions. I also have a Waterman Carene, which is a slimmer pen that uses cartridges/converters and is a great writer as well.

I see from the "acquisitions" forum that you have actually received the pen. Ah, offrir, I get it. Confused by the photo though, mine is platinum, not gold. – Still, I hope you can overlook the criticisms voiced here as well as your own misgivings, for this is a very fine pen indeed.

(Incidentally, I also have a 70s Montblanc ballpoint and cannot confirm reports of brittle resin).

MB has always received a bad rap from pen aficionados as overpriced and over-hyped. Supposedly older MB's were better made, but I don't know how much older.

I've been using a Montblanc Meisterstück 146 most every day at work for 20 years and it's worked perfectly. When I bought it, it was the ne plus ultra of pens, at least in my mind because I'd never heard of any other high end brand.

MB is to pen aficionados as Rolex is to watch geeks, so some people are embarrassed to use/own them . Fact is, both MB and Rolex are good, quality products and Jean Pierre should enthusiastically accept the gift and use the pen often. If he finds it doesn't perform as well as his Parker Sonnet, then make it a special occasion pen.

I agree with most of the above. I have a big, expensive Mont Blanc. I have had it for almost 20 years, I don't remember what it is called. It was $300, back then, goodness knows what it would cost, now. Also, a moderately priced Cross fountain pen. The Cross is much more pleasant to write with.

But the MB is much prettier and more impressive. :cool:

Tim

I would buy a Pelikan 1000. Great pen. People who are into pens are going to say to themselves "now there's a guy who bought the right german pen!". Everyone else is going to ask if it's a mont blanc :) Precious resin tends to break a bit to easy for my tastes.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.

Whatever are the qualities or defaults of this pen, I consider it now as very special because it's a gift of the love of my life. Each times I gonna use it, I will think of her and how much she counts for me ... and that has no price !

I will have also a special thought for all of you who helped me and who give me excellent advices each time I have a question.

I wish you an excellent day.

All this talk I would like to get a fountion pen I have some nice pens but not foutain. I would like a Pen that is quality enough to give me a true appreciation to make a descion if I like or not. But not spend a fortune if I do not like.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks a lot to all of you for your help.

Whatever are the qualities or defaults of this pen, I consider it now as very special because it's a gift of the love of my life. Each times I gonna use it, I will think of her and how much she counts for me ... and that has no price !

I will have also a special thought for all of you who helped me and who give me excellent advices each time I have a question.

I wish you an excellent day.

Perfect sentiments!

All this talk I would like to get a fountion pen I have some nice pens but not foutain. I would like a Pen that is quality enough to give me a true appreciation to make a descion if I like or not. But not spend a fortune if I do not like.

Pelikan M200 or M400. Not cheap but not crazy expensive. Another great option is to snag a vintage Sheaffer Imperial off of your favorite auction site. These can be had cheaply most of the time. Classic good looks and you'll eventually want a snorkel from Sheaffer.

Top Bottom