What's new

Lucite restore - making an heirloom

A while back I posted for a little guidance on sanding the bottom of the knothole in a lucite brush because I had a very specific idea. I was inspired by the EverReady Man and the Boston T-Token brushes and thought I'd like to try something similar.

Short story: Pain in the neck but ultimately worth it

So it started with this:
proxy.php

Good shape, but not great. I knew that there would be some work involved, but I had no idea how far it would go.

Bristles out, sanded out paint, opened up hole to accommodate a 24mm knot and had to deepen it by about 4mm. Tedious, time consuming, and more than once caused fits of rage leading to it being shelved for a while to get it sanded, polished, and level.

Finally I got it in the state that I wanted.

I am a bicentenial baby and thankfully my mother kept some of the more popular items of the time and one of those she kept was a small lapel pin/tie-tac that I cut the post off of and glued in the bottom of the hole thusly:
proxy.php

That part went about as good as I could expect. There is a tiny bubble on the bottom left that caused some issues, but live and learn. I dropped it in about a 2mm layer of clear epoxy and moved it slowly to where I wanted it and prayed.

Next up, paint - I chose Testors Ruby Red Metallic. I rather like the way it looks.
proxy.php

Final polish:
proxy.php
proxy.php

And test fit with a knot, TGN Finest, of course!
proxy.php

So now my birthyear Black Beauty and SS have some company. One day I hope to give this to my son, flaws and all.

I'm happy enough with it that I'm going to do it again, but this time, I need to find a small enough Lakers pin!

Thank you for looking.

Very nice. I'm working on a lucite-handled brush right now that I want to drop in some kind of "bling" that shows through the lucite. That lapel pin looks great...I'm going to have to dig around in the drawer and see if I can find something equally cool.

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen.

Justin - I hope to do something similar eventually if I can find an appropriately-sized Lakers pin. The ones I have are just a bit too big by about a 1/4". I may have to improvise, but it's going to be a while.

Outstanding! Didn't even notice the bubble until you mentioned it. What a great way to personalize a restoration. I kinda wish I stepped outside the box a little on my Lucite restore. The next recess will definitely be painted red. I like the look of the clear and red Semogues.

Awesome! Wonder if you could use some water clear resin and hardener to make a handle blank that could then be turned? Then you could drop your Laker pin in without having to conform to a pre-made handle? Whatever, I love the restore here, quite impressive!

Top Bottom