What's new

Looking for new ice cube tray

I'd prefer something with large cubes for bourbon/OF/whatever, but I don't really care about them being clear. I DO care that they are a uniform cube (not short) and that they don't have a silicone smell when you take them out of the tray. I'd prefer not to spend 30 dollars on it (like the trays for the clear cubes get up to).

I'd prefer something with large cubes for bourbon/OF/whatever, but I don't really care about them being clear. I DO care that they are a uniform cube (not short) and that they don't have a silicone smell when you take them out of the tray. I'd prefer not to spend 30 dollars on it (like the trays for the clear cubes get up to).

You can Youtube how to make clear ice, there are many videos on the process. They show how it is done with a small lidless coolers, how to score and cut the ice, and storage.

If you ever decide on a clear ice tray...

Clear ice tray here:

This thing makes large ice cubes (2 x 2 inch) and they are clear. Need patience when removing cubes, I let it sit on counter for about 10 minutes, then massage the cubes from the tray. I store them in ziplock bags as I make them. I find the ice lasts longer as it has no occlusions inside the cube to melt faster. Online for about 40.00 USD

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have both versions of square ice tray mentioned above. My silicone tray did not come with a lid and having one looks like it would be handy. Both methods work. The silicone tray will not give you clear ice without some work, but it is very simple- fill it and freeze it. The squares are uniform and the air/minerals trapped in them make some interesting starburst patterns inside the cube which are kind of neat.
The True Cubes takes a *little* more work and makes clear ice. It takes up more room in the freezer than the silicone tray and only makes 4 cubes at a time instead of 8.
I was hoping to show you a side by side of them but my silicone mold is MIA. Must have disappeared during our last move. I have an opened but unused True Cubes (I bought 2) that I’ll send you. If you’re Interested shoot me a PM with your address. If you like it keep it, and if you don’t PIF it to the next person who asks about clear ice.

This is what I bought. Seems to fit your needs. I noticed no off odor.
Vremi Large Silicone Ice Cube Trays - 2 Pack 8 Square Cubes per Tray Ideal for Whiskey, Cocktails, Soups, Baby Food and Frozen Treats - Flexible and B Amazon.com: Vremi Stackable Large Ice Cube Trays — Pack of 2 Silicone Trays — 8 Cubes per Tray — Ideal for Cocktails, Frozen Treats, Soups, Sauces,and Baby Food — BPA Free with Frost Resistant Lids — Red and Blue - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MCSNTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_TgQ9RFnj2PbBF

Would you say these trays make symetric cubes? The trays I used in the past, had an equal wide and length, but then the cubes weren't as high as they were long/wide.

Top Bottom