What's new

Kiehl's shaving cream - any good?

Hi Guys,

I was wandering around my local city centre a few days ago and noticed a new Kiehl's shop open, right beside the C&E store I frequent when I'm in the mood. Anyway, I noticed they have the 'Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream' in both the blue and white eagle varieties. Are these any good? I wouldn't mind paying the the £15 if they are of reasonable quality, but if they aren't it's a waste of time and money. No issues with using brushless creams, I occasionally use Real Shaving Co. cream brushless with my Gillette Sensor when in a rush and it does a great job. Is the Kiehl's in any way comparable?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks,

R.

I tried the white and didn't like it. Just my personal experience. Hopefully, others will give you some more input.

Kiehl's has been around for a long time, so probably I am missing something.

Tried both and experienced satisfactory results; probably wouldn't have lasted this long if they weren't; buy, try, and if not satisfied return for refund.

Sorry, I found Keihls to be the worst cream I have used. I will qualify that and say that I was something of a novice at the time, but I wouldn't touch it at half the price. Godrej or one of the other Indian creams give both a better lather and better value. The usual YMMV disclaimer applies, of course.

A Kiehl's location opened up not too long ago in my neighborhood. I went in for the first time today. They gave me samples of the face wash, White Eagle cream (menthol and camphor), and moisturizer...three rounds of each, which was nice. I'll have to see how they go; I too am not set against brushless.

Their stuff is pricey, though (they're owned by L'Oreal). There are products that may perform as well at a lower price point.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm not a fan of Kiehl's. I bought a tub of it a while ago and found the performance so-so, and the smell horrible. It's not awful, but I just didn't think it was worth the price.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's the only product I have ever thrown away.
It's like a pasty Noxema, but the scent is not as good as Noxema, and that's saying something.
No lather whatsoever, so I don't know how they figured it should be named Lite Flite Shave Cream for the Brush.

not a fan either. bought in an airport . just doesn't deliver what I want. slick shaves and great smells. wife gets all my stuff I don't like and seems to love it all.

I used to use the White Eagle (brushless) back in cartridge razor days (and earlier, when I started with an injector SE). At the time I thought it was VERY heavily mentholated, though I've learned since what that really means. I thought -- and still think -- it's way better than "canned goo"; it did clog the multi-blade carts. If I have a sample I'll save it for traveling and leaving the brush at home. That said, since I have brushes now, I MUCH prefer some other things!

The "Lite Flite for the Brush" I have never used; the Blue Eagle brushless is, if I remember correctly, like the White Eagle without the menthol.

Their skin products such as moisturizers, masks, toners, scrubs are really good. the shaving cream leaves a lot to be desired. I used it in the cartridge days, but for DE, it doesn't work for me

Their aftershave balm is actually very good.

I've used their general skin products for years...and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

Tried the White Eagle packet today and it performed well. I'd take Malin + Goetz over it, though, if I want to buy an expensive brushless cream.

It's like a pasty Noxema, but the scent is not as good as Noxema, and that's saying something.
No lather whatsoever, so I don't know how they figured it should be named Lite Flite Shave Cream for the Brush.

My local Kiehl's also gave me a sample of the Lite Flite cream, which is indeed intended for the brush.
My first go with it was not great: too little product and too much water (I was using TOBS as a model).
Today I used more product and less water -- again, bowl lathering -- and the results were quite good.
The level of camphor and menthol is subtle and pleasing.

I tried it again and the more I think about it, the more it smells and looks like spackling compound to me. Love the observation below. I tossed it, also.

I am actually a big supporter of Kiehl's products. Their Facial Fuel line is outstanding. Their Amino Acid shampoos and conditioners are awesome.

That being said, I only liked the Lite Elite Shave Bream for brushes. Liked it, not loved it. The lather was okay but not spectacular. But that smell. BSAGuy above called it "spackling compound"....I feel releived. I thought I was the only one that thought that.

The "Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream- White Eagle" I found to be the biggest disappointment I have had from Kiehls. I love those pure "clean" smelling creams and soaps and this had that scent. I have no problem with brushless creams (I loved Lab Series' product). BUt I did not like the feeling on my face that the Kiehls left once I got a even,wet coating on my face. Stinging is too strong of a word, but in that category. Too bad.

Tried a sample of the Kiehl’s brushless shaving cream today. The razor was a Rockwell 6S loaded with a fresh Voshkod blade. Was easy for a quick travel shave.

Doesn’t provide the same level of protection as a thick lather, but does the job pretty well. Razor slides across the face when enough cream is applied and razor is wet.

Smell is rather chemical. Not strong, but a bit strange. After the shave I felt a slight menthol tingle on the face, which was nice.

The only real disadvantage for me is that it clogs the razor. It takes more time to rinse the razor than with regular shaving cream.

In summary, I would not buy the product. I would prefer to use a cheaper simple cream (for instance Proraso green) and quickly generate a thick lather using a (travel) brush.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Weird that people don’t seem to like brushless creams. I find the white to be among the best I’ve ever used. A smooth, close, consistent shave every single time.

Kiehls shaving cream for brush is one of the only products I've gone back to get a second. It was not part of their shaving product line with the blue color.as I recall. I may get a third soon. The smell is nice . Reminds me of the word "salve". Something grandma mixed up for Grandpa. Kind of hippie not fragrance counter stuff.

re awakening an older thread... I have used Kiehl's facial fuel line for some time and enjoy it but never got into their blue tube of Ultimate Brushless shaving cream but grabbed it for a quick 3 day road trip. I was very pleasantly surprised. I see the older comments here to the contrary and perhaps they have changed the formulation in recent years. I found the cream to be very lubricating and gave me a very comfirtable and good shave. It looks like this will be part of my travel set going forward. At home I will keep using my soaps and brushes tho.

To provide a little more context.... I have grey and coarse growth and shaved twice using this cream. One at 3 days and another at 5 days of growth.

3 day
Timeless Ti .95 SB
new PermaSharp blade

5 day
Timeless Ti .95 OC
2nd use of PermaSharp blade

Both shaves were comfortable and close... much more so than I anticipated.

Top Bottom