What's new

Kanayama 70,000

The strop arrived today. I was expecting something similar to my DD cordovan, but this is an entirely different monster. The DD, is very slick and fast strop, less pliable, and very durable, tough. The DD, TM, and HA are obvious products of the western world. They're practical, utilitarian objects.
The Kanayama is much softer, has a slower velvety draw, more elegant, delicate. I stropped a Joseph Elliot on it and it almost felt like the stropping would hurt it, the wood-like surface of the leather scratch at any moment....it was a nerve-wracking experience.:blink:

I don't know what to make of this strop. I never minded scratching my TM or Hand American a little (felt it gave them character), and the Duck already came with a few generations of scratches.
There's a virginal quality to the Kanayama, a fragility which is disturbing to me. It is beauty for its own sake, and it fills me with apprehension because it seems so easy to ruin.

:001_unsur

You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind when pull out a strop like that. Maybe it will become your Sunday strop when things are more relaxed..:001_smile

You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind when pull out a strop like that. Maybe it will become your Sunday strop when things are more relaxed..:001_smile

Yeah, I've been stressed and jittery lately.
At least it's nice to hold and look at.:blush:

Bah, it's a strop - use it :thumbup1:

Agreed. One of the difficult things I have found in wetshaving is that nothing lasts forever. Brushes lose hairs. Badger bristles break off or split. Metal is removed from razors to sharpen them. Soap pucks get worn. Wood soap dishes warp. And strops get scratched and nicked from time to time.

I agree with the three gentlemen above me!

I've got a #60,000 and I use it daily.

You shouldn't be nicking strops regularly at this point, so just accept the fact that at some point it's going to get a nick. Hopefully it will be a small one, but whatever happens, just repair it and use it the next day.

I liked my Kanayama so much it's now my only strop :cool:

Top Bottom