What's new

Kamisori Handle material

I recently acquired several Kamisori style razors from japan in an estate sale, and a couple of them have a little bit of rust on the handle, underneath what appears to be finely wrapped waxed string. I would like to remove this string and clean off the rust, however I don't know of any sources for replacement handle material. people have mentioned replacing the string with tosuke plastic grips, but I havent been able to find any of those either.

Anyone know of a retailer or source for replacement kamisori handle material?

If you want to go with the same wrapped style. I've been told you can use cotton string dipped in lacquer.
Wrap the handle and let the lacquer dry. I kind of becomes one piece after is set, with each side attached to the other.

Legion

Staff member
Pictures or it never happened.

I've seen kamisori with rattan or wicker wrapped handles. Looks really nice. Maybe a craft store that sell materials for basket weaving?

Failing that, white cotton string with bees wax might be nice. I know a way of making a cord wrap on a bokken (Japanese wooden sword) that looks really sweet. I bet done in miniature on a kamisori it would look good too.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll try the cotton string coated in bees wax. When I'm done I'll post some pics. any online how to guides for making cool designs with the string?

i believe rattan would be the conventional material to use? Though I'm sure any cord wrap would work as long as it's not something that will retain moisture
As for designs, you might try searching for cord wrapped knife or even sword instructions, probably 10x as many of those out there as there are for razors

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll try the cotton string coated in bees wax. When I'm done I'll post some pics. any online how to guides for making cool designs with the string?

Google Grapevine or French hitching. That is what I was thinking of.

Here, I just did it quickly on this thin pen to give you an idea. It is just like whipping, except you put a hitch in on each turn. Makes that raised spiral around the outside. Obviously you could use nicer string and take more time than I have here.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh, I know some of those would be huge for this, but something in the 4-6mm range might be doable depending on how you were to wrap it
I was more just trying to show the flat braided type that I thought would look nicer than a round rope/thread

Top Bottom