What's new

It's for real this time

I was introduced to wet shaving a few years ago while in the search for a good electric shaver that would cure all my troubles (lol). Before that i used a mac3/quattro and the end results I got from these were actually pretty acceptable - a close shave, no ingrown hairs and I dont think my skin was ever sensitive. Since my first day of shaving I thought it was standard to shave against the grain.
My main issues were that I hated doing it, it was uncomfortable - i left it until I had to and have strong stubble which was more pulled out that cut and of course the issue of expensive replacements.

When I saw youtube videos demonstrating safety razors I couldn't believe why everyone wasn't doing it that way - it made so much sense.

In practice the novelty wore off as I didn't really have the patience for 3 passes - one of the reasons I wanted an electric razor was speed even though it took me all of about 2 minutes start to finish with a cartridge shaver.

The main reason I stopped using the DE is because I would spend 3x or 4x or more longer shaving than a mac3 and not get as close of a shave - i was pretty bad for missing stubble at the harder to maneuver areas like under the jawbone near the ear - had to pull out the cartridge to fix it.

I left my DE at home for a few years and lost the mac3 so it was a 5 blade combo fusion + hydro (wilkinson sword). This was the final straw, good shave for a few seconds until they clogged up and they seemed to go blunt very, very fast (esp fusion). At least I learned shave with the grain thanks to my DE day(s).

Gave my muhle 89 kit a good wash recently and have had about 5-6 shaves since. The first few weren't great but I was watching more youtube videos and reading here, learning about the importance of a good lather, wet face and I picked up some good razor handling techniques. The last 3 shaves have been very good. I think it was geofatboys first video that helped me the most, I shaved the same pattern he did (i was all over the place) i always held the razor too timidly in the fear of putting pressure on the blade, he was much more confident and assured and I tried to take a leaf out of his book.

I haven't got one of those beneath the skin shaves like I did with the mac3- which im sure is a good thing, but I will be very happy if I can shave every other day.
I enjoyed my last few shaves and I feel a big difference in my face even- feels much softer/healthier and my stubble feels and looks better growing back using a DE.
I am definitely going to commit to this way of shaving, the last few shaves have been so good im almost looking forward to the next. I read for a closer shave the feather is a good combo with the milder muhle r89 but I will probably go for another 5 with the astra blade first as get more experience.

It feels great to be using quality products too, razor, brush, soap, cream etc. After my shaves I apply a homemade, more natural moisturizer of argan oil + rosemary essential oil and it feels great.

so that was my life story.

When I first discovered Safety Razors (wet shaving?) I went on a spending spree. After coming back to it I may have got carried away with online shopping too. heres my big inventory for a measly level 1 wet shaver:
  • 100 Astra Superior Platinum DE Blades Carton x3 [they were on offer somewhere]
  • 120 Gillette 7 O Clock Sharp Edge
  • 50 Blade Premium Selection Sampler
  • Alum Block Natural Stone
  • Muhle Aloe Vera Shaving Soap
  • Muhle Aloe Vera Shaving Soap and Wooden Dish [using now]
  • Muhle Chrome Shaving Bowl [i love this]
  • Muhle R89 Safety Razor & Silvertip Set
  • 200 Feather DE Blades
  • D R Harris Shaving Soap With Mahogany Bowl (Select Scent: Arlington)
  • DR Harris Naturals Shaving Soap
  • Geo F Trumper Shaving Cream Tubes(scent: Rose) [half gone from first time]
  • Geo F Trumper Shaving Cream Tubes (scent: Sandalwood) [used this during my first expedition - amazing smell]
  • Bloc Osma Alum Block Post Shave Treatment [lost the first one]
  • Feather Blade Bank
  • Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap Refill
  • Muhle Razor Blade Guard
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street 100g Sandalwood Herbal Shaving Soap Refill x3 [meant to order 1x]
  • QShave Stainless Steel Shaving Bowl with Lid 4 Inch Diameter Large Deep Size Chrome Plated Shinning Finish Shave Soap Cup Mug
  • Cella Crema Da Barba Shaving Cream / Soap (150 g)
  • Proraso Shaving Soap in a Bowl, Green x2
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street 150g Eton College Shaving Cream Bowl
  • TrueFitt & Hill 99g Luxury Shaving Soap Refill
  • DR Harris & Co Arlington Shaving Cream Bowl
  • Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter Shaving Cream (150 ml)
  • Proraso Shaving Soap in a Bowl, White
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street 150g Sandalwood Shaving Cream Bowl
  • Silver Tone Double Edge Blade Razor Shaver w Nonslip Metal Handle [some cheap razor i wish i didnt buy, unopened]

kind of related
  • Alt Innsbruck Cologne
  • Alvarez Gomez Eau de Cologne 80ml
  • Geo F Trumper Eucris EDT

for travelling I bought the Feather MR3 and lots of cartridges.

Not going to buy a thing for at least another year, if im still here it will be that lovely feather razor and an expensive muhle synthetic brush and stand for it.

Thank you for this forum. I learned so much lurking here and it really is an inspiring place with a great commuity!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great Googly Moogly! That's an awesome shopping spree. Welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome and WOW! I like that, diving right in and just doing it! I was the same way. When my first kit came in, I threw all other shaving related items (carts and cans) in the trash. The best way to learn is to have no other option! Good luck, Sir!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I tell myself every week that's it no more. Then I buy more. Good luck on that year long wait. Welcome.

I did the same thing last week. Then I saw the RazoRock Baby Smooth was back for sale the other day, and I've wanted to try that since I found wet shaving. And Joe also had some Hawk V2s in stock. And he also had a Russian blade sampler pack. And then... You get the picture.

@booah Welcome to B&B! As you can see, you're in good company! Enjoy the shaves!

Thanks very much for the warm welcome gents!
My shave today, even though I was under some time constraints, proved to me that this is best solution for my needs.
I am shaving so much better than the first stint and face/stubble feels so much better than using the cartridges.
I am certainly well stocked, I won't buy anything for a long time now - I hope all these soaps and blades got a long expiry date! :a2:
Looking forward to seeing ye all on the forums.
Thanks!

Top Bottom