What's new

Is this box of bits suitable for a blade restore job?

proxy.php

The wheels are of varying grits, the blue-ey ones being extremely fine. I'll probably work from lowest to highest and then use a felt wheel with the polishing paste. IF this kind of tool tip set is suitable? I don't see why not! I'm going to test the process on an area of the tang first to see if it works

Also... I don't have any neatsfoot oil, however I do have a polish made from beeswax, yoyoba (jojoba I'm guessing) and lanolin. Do you think it'd be suitable for horn scales? It's basically a high quality leather polish for boots but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work? I'll invest in some neatsfoot or mineral oil eventually, but I'm on a serious budget at the moment (saving up for all these summer music festivals.. well, the BEER at the festivals :thumbup:)

Cheers for any feedback! I can't wait to get started later, so long some of you gurus give it the okay :laugh:

I'd also like to say a big thankyou to everyone here - I've never been on such a friendly, helpful forum before

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you need to sand I would suggest hand sanding, as the small radius of those bits will give you a wavy finish unless you have the steady hands of a surgeon and eyesight if a dentist. For polishing, those felt wheels work well for me.

Legion

Staff member
Dont use those sanding or grinding bits on the blade. You will remove a large portion of steel. Seen those worked spines with all the little dents and wavy bits carved into them? That's what we use. If you use it on the edge or side of the razor it is dead. Game over.

If you have nerves of steel and good eye protection you can try the buffing wheels. I recommend not using power tools when you are starting, though. Too much can go wrong way too quickly.

Don't ever use the felt pads to polish plastic - scales, brush handles, etc.. I put holes in my last brush restoration trying that trick. Runs WAY too fast!

I used the felt wheels and polishing paste on the blade and it removed a good amount of crap from it and brought out some of the shine. I still need to run over it a few more times but it's working well. I also used them on the scales with the wax and it did a really good job of cleaning them up. They look brand new. I'll get some pics up later once I've run over it a few more times. I do need to do a bit of sanding in places, but I may leave it with just a good polish as I don't want to lose any of the original etching

The felt wheels work well. Use one for each type of polishing compound. Use something to support the razor. Lay it flat on something to hold it steady. I used a folded up rag soaked in cold water to help keep the heat down. You have to be careful to not let the blade get hot. Those felt wheels make the metal get hot very fast. Keep a glass filled with water to dip the blade in to cool it off. Do some searches and you will find lots of great tips and safety recommendations which is VERY important!

Top Bottom