What's new

Is there an ideal ratio for width-to-loft?

First, thanks to all that have shared what they have learned - the fruits from your hard work inspired me to try some restores as well. And who ever was the first person that recommended the use of a forstner bit for knot removal - you are a gentleman and scholar.

Now the questions; is there a standard for setting a loft? I have two brushes in progress and I am trying to figure out what is the "correct" loft for each

1). Solid Set 66mm handle that is getting a TGN 22mm Super Silvertip bulb shaped knot. Looking at some Simpson specs as a guide, they typically set a 22mm knot between 46mm and 48mm. These heights look pretty stubby to my eye - I kinda like the way a 52mm loft looks (dry fitting), but would this be too floppy?

2). Durobuilt handle that is getting a TGN 16mm Finest bulb shaped knot. Dry fitting that knot, the deep set loft is 40mm. I am waffling between that 40mm and 42mm.

I am ready to go, I have the Loctite marine epoxy and I just need to get past this indecision. And advice is appreciated.

2). Durobuilt handle that is getting a TGN 16mm Finest bulb shaped knot. Dry fitting that knot, the deep set loft is 40mm. I am waffling between that 40mm and 42mm.

Unless you really like a stiff brush, I would go 42. I had Rudy make me a 16mm TGN Finest set at 40mm last year. It's all backbone and no splay which is what I wanted at the time. Still use it, but mostly in summer when my face can handle a stiffer brush. In winter I find myself going back to my softer brushes. Here's a picture of the 16/40mm when wet.

Attachments

• $RV blue wet 004.jpg
    $RV blue wet 004.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 107
I like a average of about 48mm-50mm on my handles.

+1 The 48mm-50mm setting seems like the optimum loft for nice aesthetics, good backbone, and bristle tip movement. For me, dense and deeply set knots that don't splay a little are very difficult to lather with.

I've gone a little higher (54mm-55mm) with the stiffer TGN finest knots on longer handles because the proportions looked nicer.

Thank guys, I am going to set the SolidSet a tad lower than I originally planned - an even 50mm. The Durobuilt will be set at 40mm.

The expoxy will flow tonight!

Yeah the silvertip knots from TGN seems to bloom just right for me @ 48-50mm, if I were using a Finest I would set it at 50-52mm. Those for me seem to be the sweet spot for either bowl or face lathering.

Top Bottom