What's new

Intense orange! C.V Heljestrand faux frameback in Osage

Osage Orange, grows in the wild thru out the south & mid-west US.
Used by Osage indians to make bows & got it's name from them.
Found extremely durable & hence was used as both pavement blocks & railroad ties back in the days.
And still it sands easily, especially for such a hard wood.

But the best part of it all is the intense color!

Finished with one coat of tung-oil, 10 coats of blonde shellac & and topped with bleached beeswax.

NiAg/SS hardware & orange acrylic tapered wedge.

By the way, just like you probably imagined, the blade shaves like there's no tomorrow :thumbup1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent work!

Those scales are gorgeous, reminds me of 50's furnitures.

This shellac you are using, is there another name for it in Swedish?

Beautiful razor. Love the color of that wood!
Thanks!

Excellent work!

Those scales are gorgeous, reminds me of 50's furnitures.

This shellac you are using, is there another name for it in Swedish?

Thanks!

You say "Shellack" in Swedish, probably in Norsk to.
It's also sometimes called "polityr" or even "shellack-polityr"
It comes ready-mixed when it's called "polityr"
I don't like that stuff & it's ridiculously over-prized.

You can find shellac flakes in some "real" paint-stores.

Other wise both "endlessgreen" & "resinsupplies" on eBay.co.uk has an excellent selection of high quality flakes. BIN, no auctions.
By the way, its' "blonde" shellac I've used here.

That is excellent! Now one more razor that I'll be after.
Thanks!

This blade is well worth chasing down :thumbup1:
However, this Heljestrand model is kind of rare.

The good thing is that the Klas Törnblom equivalent is very, very similar & far easier to get hold of. Pops up regularly even on American eBay.
Light & easy to move around the face & the edge they take are nothing but of the very highest standard, no matter what you compare them to :yesnod:

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I thought you played with more Turmeric!

My friend, you have created another work of art. I love how classic yet modern your razors end up looking. Pure class, and keep it up! :thumbup:

...Those scales are gorgeous, reminds me of 50's furnitures...
That's it! I got a warm feeling looking at this razor.

The mid-century modern Danish furniture out family had is indeed the same feel (at least here often called Danish, but suspect Swedish too. Sorry, not a furniture guy). Similar clean purposeful lines with beautiful wood.

Good call, on the comparison.
Most important, OUTSTANDING job on the razor.

Thanks!

This blade is well worth chasing down :thumbup1:
However, this Heljestrand model is kind of rare.

The good thing is that the Klas Törnblom equivalent is very, very similar & far easier to get hold of. Pops up regularly even on American eBay.
Light & easy to move around the face & the edge they take are nothing but of the very highest standard, no matter what you compare them to :yesnod:

I've been chasing that Törnblom for awhile as well. There is a seller from Eskilstuna that lists NOS ones from time to time on eBay in ivory or real tortoise - I just haven't bid high enough. Was really after the tortoise one last time, but it blew through my snipe by about $15. I'm sure he has more and I'll snag one eventually.

Beautiful!:thumbup1:
Thank you!

Wow. For some reason the orange really suits that blade. Good choice. :thumbup1:
:001_smile

Hermes called..... They want their BEAUTIFUL razor returned immediately.
I'll see what I can do :biggrin1:

I thought you played with more Turmeric!
Not here, but some ground, dried chili might have worked :w00t:

My friend, you have created another work of art. I love how classic yet modern your razors end up looking. Pure class, and keep it up! :thumbup:
I'm humbled:blush:

That's it! I got a warm feeling looking at this razor.

The mid-century modern Danish furniture out family had is indeed the same feel (at least here often called Danish, but suspect Swedish too. Sorry, not a furniture guy). Similar clean purposeful lines with beautiful wood.

Good call, on the comparison.
Most important, OUTSTANDING job on the razor.
I really think Rune hit the nail there.
Didn't think of it myself before he wrote it though.
I do think "Danish" is the right word to describe them

I've been chasing that Törnblom for awhile as well. There is a seller from Eskilstuna that lists NOS ones from time to time on eBay in ivory or real tortoise - I just haven't bid high enough. Was really after the tortoise one last time, but it blew through my snipe by about $15. I'm sure he has more and I'll snag one eventually.
Trust me there is.
He gets them straight from the source so to speak.
Unfortunately that source is one of the most un-social & misanthropic human beings I have ever encountered...
But I did get a look inside that old storage once.
It was & will forever be the closest I have been to heaven.

And, no I will not reveal any more of it (I had to swear on my honor not to, no kidding)

If you settle for a decent condition blade without scales & promise to rescale it in something awesome & cool & show it of on B&B when done, you can consider yourself "hooked up" :001_cool:

Top Bottom