What's new

I binged The Nib

I have scanned all 167 pages of threads over the last couple of days.

Obviously I didn't read every thread but clicked on titles that seemed interesting/relevant.

It was definitely educational but my brain is overloaded
brain-full-2.jpg

Been keeping an eye on some vintage pens... leaning toward a Sheaffer Snorkel or a Parker 51

Anyone know reputable online sellers in Canada outside of eBay?

I you decide on a Snorkel (they are terrific pens), then I'd recommend Teri at Peyton Street Pens. You can be guaranteed that the filling mechanism will be correctly restored, and for a fair price. I'm not sure if he has any at the moment, but another trusted restorer for snorks is Ron Zorn at Main Street Pens. Both in the US, though.

Parker 51s are a different thing. Most aerometrics will just work, perhaps requiring a good flush. Those things are bullet proof. Vacumatics, on theother hand, are more tricky to restore, so more of a gamble buying second hand. The two sellers I mentioned above also sell 51s, as do lots of others.

Good luck. Both are great vintage pens that will last for decades to come!

You said in Canada, so ...

Scott Newman at Fifteen Pens in Ottawa worked on an Aurora 88 for me. Good communication and good job. I haven't bought any Pens from him, but he has a few for sale.

I bought a Parker 51 from Peel Pen Shop. The one good thing I'll say is that the owner refunded my purchase with no fuss.

If you settle on an aerometric Parker 51, eBay is a decent place to look - those pens are built like tanks, and provided the pictures and description are ok, you should be good. needers52 on eBay is Canadian and while his photography leaves much to be desired, his descriptions are very good. I bought a couple of Parker 21s from him.

Scott Newman at Fifteen Pens in Ottawa worked on an Aurora 88 for me. Good communication and good job. I haven't bought any Pens from him, but he has a few for sale.

Thanks so much.

Found a beautiful Cocoa Parker 51 and bought it.

Resisted the temptation to buy a Sheaffer to go along with it. Though I've bookmarked his site and I'm sure I'll eventually get a Snorkel too!!

Now....to get some cool brown ink to go with my cool brown pen!

CONSKB0019-Parker51Aerometric_Cocoa_1of8_960x.jpg
CONSKB0019-Parker51Aerometric_Cocoa_4of8_960x.jpg
CONSKB0019-Parker51Aerometric_Cocoa_7of8_960x.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for your service my friend!

You poor man. You just gave ME a headache!

Now....to get some cool brown ink to go with my cool brown pen!

I have Diamine Chocolate Brown which is a nice dark brown, and Waterman Absolute Brown which is lighter and a bit leaning to red. I also have a bottle of Noodler's Red Black which, to my eye, could pass for brown.

If you're ordering ink in Canada, I suspect that, apart from Amazon.CA, stylo.ca has the lowest threshold for free shipping. Keep in mind that inks can freeze!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have Diamine Chocolate Brown which is a nice dark brown, and Waterman Absolute Brown which is lighter and a bit leaning to red. I also have a bottle of Noodler's Red Black which, to my eye, could pass for brown.

If you're ordering ink in Canada, I suspect that, apart from Amazon.CA, stylo.ca has the lowest threshold for free shipping. Keep in mind that inks can freeze!
I'd have forgotten about the freezing. Frozen liquid expands!

It may be an unpopular opinion but I really don't like Noodlers ink. I've owned enough of it to make that judgement.
The only exceptions would be the B&B special run they did many years ago and the American Blue. That blue is just gorgeous. But the ink really gunks up my pens.

I use Montblanc ink (Toffee Brown) and Pilot Iroshizuku (Yama-Guri) most of the time.
Waterman ink is also really nice but I have too much ink as it is.

If you're ordering ink in Canada, I suspect that, apart from Amazon.CA, stylo.ca has the lowest threshold for free shipping. Keep in mind that inks can freeze

It's not free shipping but they have decent prices at Wonder Pens. They also remove some of the ink in the bottle and put it in sample vials during the winter plus make it in person pick up at the post office to avoid frozen bottles.

Plus we have a local store called Bookmarks that has a selection of new pens and lots of ink.

A staff member there actually runs the local Pen and Pencil Club.

It's not free shipping but they have decent prices at Wonder Pens. They also remove some of the ink in the bottle and put it in sample vials during the winter plus make it in person pick up at the post office to avoid frozen bottles.
Wonder pens offers free shipping in Canada for orders over $125. That might be more ink than you're looking to buy all at once.

You could sign up with Canada Post for a Flex Delivery address. It's basically a virtual P.O. box number. One benefit is that your order wouldn't sit outside in the cold. Another is that your deliveries don't sit outside your front door all day.

Wonder pens offers free shipping in Canada for orders over $125. That might be more ink than you're looking to buy all at once.

You could sign up with Canada Post for a Flex Delivery address. It's basically a virtual P.O. box number. One benefit is that your order wouldn't sit outside in the cold. Another is that your deliveries don't sit outside your front door all day.
Yeah, I pay for shipping with them. I have a po box at the local post office.

Top Bottom