What's new

How do you store your creams & soaps?

Two days ago I counted my creams and soaps and realized that I have 18 of them.
Then I read some posts that Mitchells Wool Fat soap degrades with time. Should I put some plastic wrap on top of my soaps? Is it only MWF or also Tabac or all tallow based soaps?
Should I do it only to not air sealed containers?
I also store everything in my medicine cabinet in bathroom. Should I move them into a pantry?
I'm planning to add 3-4 new soaps/creams. Is it wise? I use them only once-twice per month

i just leave mine under the sink.

i cant imagine how/why MWF (or any other soap) would degrade over time (scent fading excepted)

i just leave mine under the sink.

i cant imagine how/why MWF (or any other soap) would degrade over time (scent fading excepted)

I think it's the tallow. Tallow is evil! (ok, just kidding... sort of)

I've heard Cella and P160 will go bad and should be refrigerated if not used regularly.

I keep everything in little tupperware bowls when it's not in my mug.

It's just to keep the scent from fading, though; I have never heard of a hard soap going bad, and as far as I can tell, the worst thing that can happen to a cream is drying out which will just require some added water and stirring.

I'm not sure where the idea of refrigerating Italian soaps started. I can only say that some members report keeping them in an airtight container at room temperature and do not have any problems.

I left my MWF unused for around a year. It developed some surface cracks but seems fine now I've started using it again. I'd say seal it up if you're planning to leave it unused for several months, but wouldn't worry about it too much.

An ideal solution might be a plastic disc that you rested on top of the puck to minimise drying. Or maybe a circle of cooking foil?

Soaps that are in my rotation I keep in shaving cups and Pyrex dishes.

+1. If I find I am not using a soap for a while, I vacuum seal it in a food saver. However, I have had MWF for over a year and it is as good as the first day I shaved with it. I just find that I tend to get carried away with soaps and creams. What I have been doing is using ALL of them in my rotation and just seal the ones I bought as spares.

In my view all the reports of MWF and disappearing lanolin or other mysterious issues are all just fantasy.

Soap is soap, it is not going to magically change in storage (other than lose scent).

You need do nothing unusual at all with MWF (or any other soap)...covering, drying between use, wetting to hydrate, freezing, cool water use, upside down loading, and a hundered other rituals are all that...just rituals.

Find your ritual and enjoy the shave...

I use the stainless steel boxes GRUNDTAL from IKEA:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Never had a problem! :thumbup:

Saturn, nice pic. When I get the time I am gonna start tryign to make cooler SOTD pics.

Anyhow, I have my MWF milled into a twist top plastic container with bottoms that interlock into teh top of the lids. My Cella is still in the red container with teh lid on when I am not using it. Like the others I keep my daily use soaps out (lid on), and when I get a brick of Cella, I am gonna break it down into puck sized chunks, wrap em in wax paper, and vac bag each one. Then in the fridge. 100% OVERKILL I KNOW but if I have the toys why not use em. My spare puck of MWF is still in its wrapper under the sink. might throw it in the fridge now that I think about it. Again, 100% overkill.

For my overstock of creams etc I store my stuff in a closet in another room.

The supplies are not subject to direct sunlight and temperature extremes.

My wife and I have two cabinets in thebathroom, one above the toilet, one tall stand-alone in the corner. I have all of my shave stuff, hair stuff, cologne, etc. in the small one above the toilet.

I keep everything in either it's original container (cella, Mama Bear's, SRD's, etc.) or...I bought several extra Mama Bear's containers and a TOBS soap refill fits perfectly, I milled an EJ soap to fit, melted VDH to fit, etc. I imagine soft soap/creams (valobra, P.160, Cella kg) would be able to be molded right into them.

Then all of the containers fit perfectly on the little shelf and stack well. I should take a pic.

Shave sticks and individual pucks are grated into Ziploc containers with lids and stored under the sink out of sight along with soaps that came in containers. Creams are stored in a medicine cabinet above the sink.

..I bought several extra Mama Bear's containers and a TOBS soap refill fits perfectly, I milled an EJ soap to fit, melted VDH to fit, etc. I imagine soft soap/creams (valobra, P.160, Cella kg) would be able to be molded right into them.

Then all of the containers fit perfectly on the little shelf and stack well. I should take a pic.

+1. This is what I do. The Mama Bear's containers are great because they don't take up much room and you can stack 'em up. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom