What's new

Help...(Ever Ready Restore)

Just picked this up on eBay ($7.50, BIN) and wanted to see if anyone has restored a brush in similar condition. Will a simple polish and elbow grease make this shine again or am I looking at new paint (which I want to avoid)....any suggestions or if there are threads of a restored brush in similar condition someone can point me to, I would appreciate it.

proxy.php

I just finished my first, similar to that. It was in pretty bade shape. The plastic is actually dyed, not painted, (or at least, mine was, and I believe they usually are), so you can sand past the blemishes and polish.

I would try to clean it up with dish detergent and then some polishing compound. If that doesn't work, you could try some wet/dry sandpaper to get down to a layer below any staining. I wouldn't try any paint on it.

Good luck!

I use a 4 sided nail polish file instead of sand paper sometimes. Get you some wet/dry paper up to about 1200 or higher if you want. It's not hard, if you get to 1200 grit wet you should be able to use the polish and get it nice and shiny.

A lot of the gunk on that razor looks like soap scum. It should wash off easily enough. Polishing compound should take care of the rest.

Scrub it with dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. Then assess the condition of the handle. Depending on the condition, it may need sanding, followed by polishing. Or it may only need polishing.

I've had several handles with copious amounts of old, built-up, shaving cream scum. Immediate thought was, "Oh crap, this will take a butt load of work." Performed the initial cleaning and the handles were in superb shape. . . .only requiring a tad bit of polishing.

I'm very encouraged reading the tips. I plan on giving this to my father in law if it turns out so I kinda want to make an impression.

Yeah, that looks like soap scum. Use some comet bathroom cleaner, scrubbing bubbles, something along those lines. Then some rubbing compound or Never Dull. Then buff it with a finger nail buffer. It won't look like the same brush.
Johnnie

heres mine after restoring.i used a 20mm finest fan from tgn.its a sweet brush now.yours should clean up nicely too.

Attachments

• $DSCN0786.jpg
    $DSCN0786.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom