What's new

Hanging vs paddle strop. Also, leather & linen.

I looked at the B&B wiki page, and it says that paddle strops are better for finishing (after honing). So, would it make more sense to buy a paddle strop? You know, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, pre-shave stropping and finishing?

Also, is a cloth strop necessary? What's that for, anyway?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like a paddle for paste stropping. Currently I am on a ship with only a limited shaving den at my disposal, and I am using a double sided paddle... one side with .25 paste, the other side clean leather.

For best results with a hanging strop, the pressure should be quite light, and the tension on the strop fairly heavy, so that it does not sag. If all you use are hanging strops, and your technique is good, you won't have any problems or notice any deficiencies.

The linen side can help to heat the edge, according to some, allowing better results on the leather, or can help to knock off a wire edge from a just-honed blade. I never bother with linen, except right after honing.

So when you strop with your paddle on an average shaving day, you start with the paste side and then switch to the leather side? I was under the impression that paste was only used after honing.

LOL at your subtitle, by the way. I'm guessing you have to have more than 1,000 posts to be man enough to rock Nancy Boy? You know after 2,000 posts you have to wear a Nancy Boy t-shirt. In public. :lol:

Legion

Staff member
IMO paddle strops are good, especially for newbies, as you always know they are going to be flat. This is also the reason why they are ideal for pastes.

Im on holidays at the moment and have been using the travel paddle I made exclusively for the last week. It's been fine and it is only half the length of a normal strop
proxy.php

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So when you strop with your paddle on an average shaving day, you start with the paste side and then switch to the leather side? I was under the impression that paste was only used after honing.

LOL at your subtitle, by the way. I'm guessing you have to have more than 1,000 posts to be man enough to rock Nancy Boy? You know after 2,000 posts you have to wear a Nancy Boy t-shirt. In public. :lol:

No, I don't use the pasted side every day. But rather than use it only after honing, I sort of use it instead of honing. Every few shaves I give it the paste side, before it reaches the point where someone else might touch it up on a barber's hone. It seems to be working well for me. And I don't have to carry a collection of heavy stones around with me when I have to fly to meet a ship. I am now down to a 7 blade rotation, and I am hoping to go at least a year without honing. With a hanging strop, I am not sure I could do that. The paddle remains flat and gives consistent results... important when using a diamond paste.

I am waiting for some kind mod to give me a more dignified title. At least a more manly one.

Top Bottom