What's new

Hand Tool Junkies; Wiha Precision Insulated Screwsticks Set On Its Way

Gents, along with just about everything else we pursue around here, I don't like bargain basement, poor quality hand tools. It usually costs money and a good bit of it to assemble a good hand tools kit. At the same time, there is absolutely no reason other than scarcity or collectible status to purchase tools that are simply over the top expensive. Expensive is relative to me. A $40 pair of Knipex combination pliers is a bargain to me since I use them daily and failure or discomfort is not optional for me. And once in awhile you keep coming back to a brand that offers great quality and affordable prices. I give you Wiha. This venerable German firm has stood the test of ham fisted maintenance workers for decades.

Many get to know their product line from their precision screwsticks and there is no doubt they are the standard on technicians benches the world over. Other brands like Wera, Felo, and PB Swiss make fabulous drivers as well but go to any electronics supply, electrical supply house, specialty tool company and almost universally they will carry Wiha's precision drivers. Wiha also makes superb fulls sized tools to include heavy duty items aimed at the electrical and HVAC trades. So it was a surprise when I spotted insulated precision screwsticks at their website. Not only precision size but the Pico finish as well. I have handled the run of the mill Wiha precision drivers(Called I think, 'technicians') and they are jut fine. They introduced the Pico soft grip line a few years ago and now they have upped the ante with an insulated version. And we are not speaking of ESD handles. These are fully compliant 1000v rated insulated drivers for when you have to work on energised devices. On sale for a bit over $30 I had to grab them. I have needed a new set of precision drivers for awhile and I was just about to order a set of Wera Kraftform Micro from Chadstoolbox. Well I may yet since I have them at work and like them a lot but these little Wihas caught my fancy. I've included a stock photo but when they come in I will post up a few snapshots for the forum.

proxy.php

Thank you for sharing. I haven't heard of that brand before, I will look into the electrician set. I have been eyeing a knipex pliers also.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A good tool is always a bargain as it will outlast you. Over 25 years ago, I bought a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver that's amazing for one handed overhead jobs. How handy is it? Put it this way- it's the only tool my wife knows by name (aside from, ahem, Stanley).

You can tell just by looking at them that a lot of thought went into those screwdrivers.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I haven't heard of that brand before, I will look into the electrician set. I have been eyeing a knipex pliers also.

You will not regret giving them a go. I have a set of their full size insulated drivers at home and much fuller set at work. Our 'hot kit' for engerised work came with a nice compliment of Wiha insulated pliers and drivers. I like them just as well if not better than my Klein cushion grips. Long ago I traded my Klein linesman pliers for a pair of Knipex 'combination' pliers. Just like linesman pliers but the jaws are narrower and allow you to work a little closer to narrow boxes and control cabinets. A long while back I started a thread about showing off your tool pouches but could not post photos since the digital camera went missing on me. I have since found it and will post up some photos of my daily carry pouch.

A good tool is always a bargain as it will outlast you. Over 25 years ago, I bought a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver that's amazing for one handed overhead jobs. How handy is it? Put it this way- it's the only tool my wife knows by name (aside from, ahem, Stanley).

You can tell just by looking at them that a lot of thought went into those screwdrivers.

I very much agree with your take on it. Buy the best you can afford and it will not cause regret. And yes, the design of the Pico drivers looks to be excellent. I will follow up when they arrive.

Top Bottom