What's new

Hand Carved Dragon

I contracted to carve a Dragon head shaving brush handle. The client has not sent the deposit and is now ghosting me. Do you think there would be any interest in the finished product?
IMG_6567.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume you’ve thought about how the brush can be put down during a shave. Some kind of stand, I guess, since it doesn’t look like the brush will stand securely on its base (the dragon’s mouth).
Well thanks for assuming I had thought of that. Now I’m think he could rest on the back of the jaw if bone if leave a good ridge there. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Well thanks for assuming I had thought of that. Now I’m think he could rest on the back of the jaw if bone if leave a good ridge there. Thanks for the idea.
And maybe a nice sloped plinth with a ridge to seat it, so it holds the brush knot off the counter. I suspect once the brush knot is installed and full of lather it will be too wide to simply lay the brush on its side and not make a mess. It could be really nice, actually, and the carving of the handle looks amazing already. Wish I could do this sort of thing.

If I was making my own shaving brush the one detail I would design into it is a concave or inward-sloping plateau on top of the brush, running around the knot. That would help catch lather and stop it running down the handle onto your hands. I don’t know why more brushes aren’t made that way. The Simpsons Tulip handle has something like this.

C597D82A-982E-425F-A9FC-FA202D17EF6A.jpeg

I assume you’ve thought about how the brush can be put down during a shave. Some kind of stand, I guess, since it doesn’t look like the brush will stand securely on its base (the dragon’s mouth).
P
And maybe a nice sloped plinth with a ridge to seat it, so it holds the brush knot off the counter. I suspect once the brush knot is installed and full of lather it will be too wide to simply lay the brush on its side and not make a mess. It could be really nice, actually, and the carving of the handle looks amazing already. Wish I could do this sort of thing.

If I was making my own shaving brush the one detail I would design into it is a concave or inward-sloping plateau on top of the brush, running around the knot. That would help catch lather and stop it running down the handle onto your hands. I don’t know why more brushes aren’t made that way. The Simpsons Tulip handle has something like this.

View attachment 1756496

Thanks for all the suggestions some may not be do able on this carve but if it sales will certainly keep in mind for the next design.

I'd say the client is doing the avoidance two-step with you. Anytime I have ever done anything in a contract manner, I never began without a deposit in hand. Then a half-way or 3/4 way done deposit as well with a small amount at the end. Doesn't work for everyone but did for me. If said client balked or complained about how I preferred things to be done I didn't accept the project.
Nice drawings and the handle looks like a fun project.

Huck,
Yes usually I get a 50% non-refundable deposit before I start work the remaining balance before shipping. I’m always looking for a small project I can take to carving night with our local club so I jumped the gun. Well, here I am but hopefully someone else will want this when I’m done.

IMG_3883.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom