What's new

Hair Conditioner As Pre-shave

I have started using Neutrogena hair condition as pre-shave and it works great! I work better than the Cube for me. I have not had any razor burn since using it. I have been using A+E shaving soap and a Muhule Rocca razor and Iridium Super razor blades. Has anyone else tried hair condition as pre-shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have started using Neutrogena hair condition as pre-shave and it works great! I work better than the Cube for me. I have not had any razor burn since using it. I have been using A+E shaving soap and a Muhule Rocca razor and Iridium Super razor blades. Has anyone else tried hair condition as pre-shave?
Good idea, if it helps you that is all matters to enjoy your shave. It must improve the glide a little also. Some of the fellows like Neutrogena for a balm or moisturizer also but never knew about using Neutrogena hair conditioner as a pre-shave. I know some fellows use oils also for pre-shaves.

Last edited:
I never use pre shave as I find it offers no benefit. I have used hair conditioner as a shave cream and it works just fine, better than some actual shave creams.
Same here though I do wash my face prior to shaving to remove any dirt and oils on my skin. Found that my shaving soap effectiveness was enhanced by starting with a clean face.

Suspect that natural oils on our skin will react with shaving soap reducing what is left to provide a comfortable shave. Often wonder if pre-shave oils could be counterproductive and interfere with lather as soap cleans in part by binding to oils. Most of the positive pre-shave oil recommendations are from merchants selling the product. Have seen some posts from other B&Bers noting that pre-shave oils reduced the quality of their lather - especially when face lathering.

I always wash my face with with Neutrogena sensitive face wash before shaving. After I get out of the shower I put the condition on my face.

I shower before I shave. I have some Tea Tree Mint conditioner I'll rub on my neck and let sit for a minute or so while I'm enjoying the last bit of my shower. I feel like I see a small ( positive ) difference in my shaves when I do.

Top Bottom