What's new

German & European Members; Retailer Who Will Ship Hand Tools To The States?

Gents, if there is one thing that could be called a near universal language amongst men it is the appreciation of good hand tools. Put ten men of any nationality and language in a hardware or tool store and they will eventually communicate!

I have been on a bit of quest to round up a few precision pliers and cutters these last few years and one brand keeps coming up; Schmitz of Germany. I mean, they make a good number of their lineup for private branding such as NWS and C-K Tools. The main problem with that is those two are typically pretty specific to certain market segments and the other issue is for some reason most of the models imported to the States are smooth jawed(no serrations inside the jaws for holding) and it lends itself more to jewelry making and such. I use my pliers in more of a commercial and industrial setting and need the ability to hold the wires or small components firmly and the smooth jaws make that harder.

As you will see if you head over to their site they offer a fabulous selection of styles and three handle options for each one. Attention to details like this are what makes them popular with technicians. Should be easy to source yeah? Well not so fast. Outside of Germany and the European Union getting these under their own brand is rather hard. In the States there is no importer. You can buy direct but the selection is limited and if you want something else in the catalogue you have to buy a certain minimum of each style you want. I tried Amazon.de with Google translator and found a decent selection but the reseller does not ship to the U.S.A. So could someone who speaks German recommend a retailer who ships to the States? Hopefully someone who's English is better than my Deutsch. I only speak a couple of German words and certainly could not begin to carry on a conversation. Thank you for any help.

BTW, I would mention that when you go to their site you will see a number of categories. The two I am interested in are the 'gripping pliers' and 'cutters'. There are things like pvc, stainless, and 'laid-in joint' version(translation; lap joint rather than the preferred box style joint) and they are not of interest to me. Thanks again.

I wish I could help but my German is as limited as yours. I'm on a Mercedes car forum and the German made Hazet brand is pretty popular and those are available in the US. And as a side note, a lot of Germans are required to study years of 'Englisch' so I suspect you can converse with them.

http://www.samstagsales.com/hazet.htm

Last edited:
Dave, from what I can tell Hazet is well respected name in German tools. That may be an avenue worth looking into. Schmitz supplies their pliers for a number of brands including NWS and now that we have a couple of dealers for these in the U.S.(chadstoolbox.com and german-hand-tools.com) I would look into them much more closely. The issue is NWS only sources the smooth jaw versions of the pliers. I would really like it if Schmitz would set up regular U.S. distribution here but I am pretty sure they make more product for private brands than they do under their own name. I would just buy Knipex and done with it but not one of their electronics/precision pliers have serrated jaws. I suppose it should not be a deal killer but I really would like the serrated jaws.

Todd, thanks for the info. This is the first I've heard of Schmitz or Knipex. I'll have a look at NWS for kicks as I've not heard of them either.

I will warn you now, going down the Knipex road is a one way street. As a dedicated Klein user, once I started using their Cobra and 'Combination' pliers my Klein linesman and Channelock water pump pliers have gathered dust. I think the Knipex are better finished than the Klein product of the last ten or fifteen years.

Top Bottom