What's new

Foul Language in Advertisements

Is it possible for the same standards of obscenity used to moderate member discussions to be applied to the advertisements as well? Ads, usually for t-shirts, are constantly popping up that openly display graphic language that is actively monitored and censored (wisely) from discussions.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is it possible for the same standards of obscenity used to moderate member discussions to be applied to the advertisements as well? Ads, usually for t-shirts, are constantly popping up that openly display graphic language that is actively monitored and censored (wisely) from discussions.
I don't know if content control is that specific, but we can certainly look into it to see if that is possible.

I apologize for that, the way ads work, advertisers bid for the open banner space and the top one wins out. We'll need to block any advertisers that are scummy or disrespectful. If possible, could you post a screenshot the next time you see it? It might be a bit like whack-a-mole, but we'll do what we have to do. I'll also raise it with our new ad network partner. The platform is pretty sophisticated, I have to imagine the functionality exists.

ETA: I guess posting screenshots of obscene language completely defeats the purpose. Please PM any screenshots to me, or email if easier, email is simply my username at badgerandblade.com

Didn't take long for one to show up. Vendor is Lilicloth. I will send a screenshot to Nick $ luvmysuper. Much thanks for looking into the issue!

Pretty sure the add somehow knows a bit where you are (I get local dutch ones). And to some extend what you are looking for recently.
And sometimes you get hilarious combinations of add and topic thread… things like an add for woodchippers when you are in a razor blade section.
But I did not see really not pc stuff but I am Dutch not easily offended…

I am Dutch not easily offended…
It's not only about whether I am offended. B&B moderators devote many hours of work to maintain B&B community standards among participants by enforcing the terms of use. If one of us posts the same language, even if obscured by non-text characters, notice will be sent and the post amended or deleted. If advertisers are able to pay to display language in violation of the TOU, maybe members with a "Contributor" badge can violate the TOU with impunity, and down the slippery slope it goes.

It's not only about whether I am offended. B&B moderators devote many hours of work to maintain B&B community standards among participants by enforcing the terms of use. If one of us posts the same language, even if obscured by non-text characters, notice will be sent and the post amended or deleted. If advertisers are able to pay to display language in violation of the TOU, maybe members with a "Contributor" badge can violate the TOU with impunity, and down the slippery slope it goes.
I don’t mind if the mods take care of it. My Dutch sense of sarcastic humor sometimes laced with beeeeeeeeeep wording not unique to us simply makes me relative less sensitive.

As far as I can tell google ads fils the top ad space based on your own settings.
Click the cross right top and the top menu gives you a complaint option
The bottom one with some digging will bring you to the advertisers list F8291B31-3465-42A1-ABA0-71F37A2EDE8B.jpegCFD051DA-E086-4EF6-91BC-254534E67CDA.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Unrelated, but since this is the only thread on ads that hasn’t been locked yet and I’d prefer this be public, I’ll post here. Ads are back for us in full force despite assurances that paid vendors wouldn’t be subject to them.

Unrelated, but since this is the only thread on ads that hasn’t been locked yet and I’d prefer this be public, I’ll post here. Ads are back for us in full force despite assurances that paid vendors wouldn’t be subject to them.

Not all, but the one that was no longer productive.

Please clear your cache and cookies and they should go away.

That said, obviously our cookie solution isn’t a viable one. Just one person in a user group seeing ads that shouldn’t (Vendors/Contribs/Wiki/etc) is too much, so we’re now coding a custom modification that should 100% solve the problem. That custom code will also allow us to turn off ads shown in the vendor forums, which will be an enhancement to the program (unless I’m mistaken on how the prior system was set up).

Per my post in the thread I closed, you, and anyone can and should, please, PM me all ad glitches.

And thinking about it, to add some color behind the request for PM’s, as I know what the perception is asking to move a conversation private - I don’t get the time to check in while working, a PM makes sure I don’t miss these issues, and it’s important I know of every single glitch or problem related to the change.

What I mentioned in the contributor forum and I’ll throw it out here - please feel free to continue posting to site feedback, but if you wouldn’t mind, please poke me with a PM too, just to make sure your issue doesn’t fall through the cracks.

And thinking about it, to add some color behind the request for PM’s, as I know what the perception is asking to move a conversation private - I don’t get the time to check in while working, a PM makes sure I don’t miss these issues, and it’s important I know of every single glitch or problem related to the change.

What I mentioned in the contributor forum and I’ll throw it out here - please feel free to continue posting to site feedback, but if you wouldn’t mind, please poke me with a PM too, just to make sure your issue doesn’t fall through the cracks.

Perfectly reasonable. Great response and approach, Nick. I appreciate that.

Top Bottom