What's new

Finally got my razor

Shortly after xmas I ran across this site and decided to try wet shaving with a DE razor. I ordered some gear and waited.

First to arrive.... the brush. So I picked up some Williams soap locally and have been practicing making lather and just using my old m3 (which I was on my last blade).

A couple weeks later my blade sampler pack arrived..... ummm not quite useful without a razor. More time passes and I learn that my shipment that has the razor was back ordered and then delayed by customs.....

A couple more weeks later my razor finally arrives. I can finally retire the m3 with its over a month old blade. ~shudder~ never doing that again but I was refusing to buy another pack.

Shave #1: For the first shave I decided to take it easy and do a couple with the grain passes and an across the grain pass. Overall it was probably my worst shave ever :tongue_sm no cuts but I didn't have the right angle.

Shave #2: I did some extra testing on my arm to find the angle where the razor cuts properly. This time it turned out a lot better. Still not as good as I can get with an m3 but significantly better than I can get from my electric razor. I was more confident this time so I did try an against the grain pass this time around.

Its now the day after shave #2 and I'm actually quite surprised at the lack of irritation on my neck. Normally with an m3 it ends up red with more than a few razor bumps.

Overall I'm happy with the switch so far. I have no doubt I'll be able to get some baby smooth shaves in the near future once I refine my technique.

Wow a month with an M3 cartridge! you must have been getting big time irrititation:w00t:

Welcome and good luck. It gets better from here on out.

Wow a month with an M3 cartridge! you must have been getting big time irrititation:w00t:

Welcome and good luck. It gets better from here on out.

Well having the brush & soap most of that time certainly made a difference. I also stopped trying to get a perfect shave knowing that I would only get irritation due to the old blade.

I knew if I caved and bought new blades then it would be easy for me to get lazy and give up on learning to DE shave. This way no matter what the DE looks like a better option than pulling that thing out. :tongue_sm

I admire your patience while waiting for all of that equipment. I think you're taking a great approach to perfecting your technique -- best of luck with better and better results. If you haven't already, check out some of the information on the site about post-shave treatments. I swear by witch hazel, others use alum blocks. Either way, good post-shave definitely does its part to reduce irritation (though avoiding irritation in the first place with good technique is exactly the right way to go).

Welcome to B&B!

yeah I picked up an alum block and some nivea post shave balm to start.

Great! Those should serve you well. Looks like you've done your homework. Now you can kick back and enjoy thinking about all of the new soaps, creams, razors, blades, brushes, after-shaves, etc. you'd like to try...:wink:

Just to clear up a mis-conception-- you weren't down to your "last blade"...you were down to your last THREE blades-- that's one to pull the whisker out, and to scrape off all the lather, then two more to drag across your dry skin and irritate it! Those extra two blades REALLY help!

Welcome, buddy! Enjoy the DE experience and keep posting!

Great! Those should serve you well. Looks like you've done your homework. Now you can kick back and enjoy thinking about all of the new soaps, creams, razors, blades, brushes, after-shaves, etc. you'd like to try...:wink:

Like to try is about where that ends at the moment. Since ordering my razor I have had my laptop fail, had to replace a tire on my car, and this weekend my TV died. I'm gonna be short on cash for the next while.

Don't mess with Mr Gillette, he will chew you up and spit you out! But he's a great guy. His criticism isn't for the faint or sensitive ear. Heheheheh...
Oh and please throw that Williams away if you got sensitive skin. Me being stubborn, I love the smell of Williams but what it does to my face, is another story. If it was a bit milder perhaps, it would be a great soap.

Don't mess with Mr Gillette, he will chew you up and spit you out! But he's a great guy. His criticism isn't for the faint or sensitive ear. Heheheheh...
Oh and please throw that Williams away if you got sensitive skin. Me being stubborn, I love the smell of Williams but what it does to my face, is another story. If it was a bit milder perhaps, it would be a great soap.

NO!!! Please! Mr. Gillette is a benevolent old soul!!

Hey Montreal...the Williams thing? All kidding aside-- I don't know if you have Walgreens up there...but I just polished off a cake of VanDerHagen's. For just about a dollar more than the Williams, you get a nice lather, some shea butter and some aloe, I think. It's a very nice affordable alternative, among MANY.

Williams works for me, but my skin is tough and leathery...much like the Grinch, only not green.

Hope all is going well! ACTUALLY...I was thinking of you this morning while I was shaving-- we had a good coating of snow overnight, and the snowblower wouldn't work with it. I ended up shoveling. My time was cut by about 10 minutes, so I opted for a full prep and only two passes, which tears my wetshaving heart out.

I still look DAMN GOOD! :lol::lol: But deep down I know I cheated. I just got to work, and can't wait to get home to smooth it out this evening.

WELCOME ALL YOU NOOBS!!!

Like to try is about where that ends at the moment. Since ordering my razor I have had my laptop fail, had to replace a tire on my car, and this weekend my TV died. I'm gonna be short on cash for the next while.

You can't shave with your laptop, why drive anywhere if you aren't clean-shaven, and who needs a TV? (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!):lol::lol::lol:

I don't know if you have Walgreens up there...but I just polished off a cake of VanDerHagen's. For just about a dollar more than the Williams, you get a nice lather, some shea butter and some aloe, I think. It's a very nice affordable alternative, among MANY.

Unfortunately there aren't any Walgreens in my city. It would be nice to get some different/better soaps but my main concern is technique.

Shave #3: This time the shave was again much better. If I had done maybe one more pass or possibly spent time on touch ups I probably could have pulled off BBS. So far I've been doing regular passes and then skipping touch ups so. I'm definitely getting the hang of the different razor. I did get a couple weepers though where I may have been a bit too aggressive around my chin but thats alright as it gives me a benchmark for what not to do.

it is good to hear that i am not the only person who has used wetshaving technique with an M3 as my merkur HD is backordered. Even with that the shaves i have been getting using cheap walgreens shave soap and cheap walgreens brush beat the crap out of what i was getting with gel goop and the M3. since everyone is saying the DE will do me that much better i can't wait to try it. it has taken me 2 weeks of different techniques to really get great lather, i encourage you to continue to read the forums there is so much wisdom in here and has changed the way i shave for life.

Top Bottom