What's new

Face slicing activities completed....

So, this past weekend, after reading up on how to best hold a razor, prepare the face, make a nice lather...blah, blah, blah ... i took out my recently purchased feather "artist club" razor which shawnmaze sold me for a nice price (and included a whole set of different blades), put in a razor, and after applying a good layer of T&H Ultimate comfort lather .... proceeded to slice my upper lip ...and after patching it up with a styptic pencil... sliced a part of my cheek below my lower lip....

Then, after cleaning up - and the cleanup took a while - found that I had put in the "Professional Light" instead of the "Pro guard" blade! Ugh!

So there goes the next six months .... attempting to forget that experience and possibly trying it once more. On the other hand, I might never go back to trying a straight razor again - not sure I am man enough to face that much blood again.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think that being scared of the blade when you first start is a good thing. Having the guard blades take that trepidation away and prevent you from learning proper technique.

That's my theory anyways. Try it again with the regular blades and take great care not to slide the blade in a slicing motion, keep the blade close to the face, use 0 pressure and be afraid, very afraid:lol:. Just kidding, if you are careful you shouldn't cut yourself too badly.

I have 6 shaves under my belt with the Feather AC DX. For the first 3 I used the guarded blades. I have never shaved DE or Straight before this. I am getting better with each shave! I would say very light pressure is needed even with the guard blades. I would suggest just doing the sides of the face until you get the hang of the angle. I am not sure what shave it was (4,5) that I did the whole face but I used to much pressure under the chin area and gave myself bad razor burn and had ingrown hairs afterward. It was BBS but not worth the pain. I almost went buy a DE at that point but am determined to learn the straight especially after feeling how smooth I am after a fairly decent shave WTG. Lather plays a BIG BIG BIG part of how well you shave with the feather. I am not sure if this is a straight thing or lather plays a big part with the DE also. I also tested with and without preshave oil. For me pre shave oil is a MUST. Remember to get your face wet with warm water this helps me. Good luck and don’t give up yet, or if you do I want to buy your razor and blades!!!! :lol:

Thanks very much, guys....

(An)droo, YOU will be the first to know if i sell those blades...:laugh:

right now i am seriously considering why i should give blood when the DE (and the cartridge) seem to do the work nicely enough.... and until I leave the B&B community, I am committed to at least the DE.:lol:

I started with the pro-guard blades and found them to be terrible. I cut, nicked, and generally made a mess of my face. I then switched to the regular and super pro feather blades and the shaves got better. I think the pro-guard blades give one a false sense of safety and security.

There's still a rather long learning curve with the others, but the shaves are better, and as your technique improves using the AC gets much easier. :thumbup1:

I started with the pro-guard blades and found them to be terrible. I cut, nicked, and generally made a mess of my face. I then switched to the regular and super pro feather blades and the shaves got better. I think the pro-guard blades give one a false sense of safety and security.

+1

When I owned my Artist Club/ Kai Captain I got far more nicks, and cuts with the ProGuard blades than I ever did with the regular Feather blades. Despite the name, I didn't feel they were that safe to use; they were in my opinion the worst of the Feather blades. They are most certainly not worth the price premium they typically sell for.

Get back on that horse! It happens to all of us. Just take your time and you'll get it.

Didn't happen to me, and I've been straighten it for 15 years. If he cuts himself that much and that easy maybe...............it just an't for him......:thumbdown

Top Bottom