What's new

Educate me on Tonics as Aftershaves

Hey B&B. Looking for some info on using tonics as aftershaves. I have some questions about the subject, enumerated as such:

1. Am I correct in avoiding things marketed as "with oil?" ie: if you let it rest, it'll separate?
  2. Should I consider other descriptions such as "(for Normal / Greasy Hair)" or "(for Dry Hair)?" This question is specifically referring to the Pashana tonics I'm researching on eBay. Do they make a difference? Am I correct in assuming I want the "normal/greasy" version, as the "dry" version specifies "with oil?"
  3. Speaking of Pashana, I see some bottles mention Essential Oils, does this mean anything in regards to use as an aftershave?

In addition to those questions, I find myself drawn to the following products listed below, loosely organized by how intrigued I am. Any opinions on these, and have I chosen the right versions of each (as in appropriate as an aftershave, not full of oil etc.)? The Eau De Portugal descriptions interest me, and I'm always game for a new Bay Rum. Brilliantine sounds interesting, but I'm concerned with the mineral oil base... should I avoid it? I guess I'm just looking for some guidance here... ASAD is new to me.

Christian

I've used Pashana Eau De Quinine & Boots own brand Bay Rum for years on my head and more often than not on my face at the same time. Pashana Eau De Quinine has such a rich scent it would be very hard to put anything else on at the same time. It's not caused me any problems; it stings a bit, worse than some aftershaves but it does the job.

For me it's Eau De Quinine and Eau De Portugal that are the "barbershop smell" in the UK

cfriend-

I can only speak for the Pinaud tonics--but I have found they work the same as the regular Pinaud aftershaves and basically have the same ingredients.

My favorite is the Eau de Portugal. It's very light, citrusy and soothing after a shave--no greasy feeling at all and you can lay it on heavy if you like--you really can't overdo it on this one. It's my favorite a/s for summertime, although I use it year round also.

The Eau de Quinine is a bit more of a heady scent--it's a lot stronger than the EdP. Same non-greasy feeling and makes a good aftershave. In my opinion it's better as a winter scent. It may be a bit much for the warmer months. It's an interesting scent and I enjoy it.

It's worth giving them a shot-- If you like Pinauds other offerings, you'll probably enjoy these as well.

Marty E.

Top Bottom