What's new

Does anyone here use a laser or do engraving work?

A few months ago I was given my great grandfather’s straight razor by my grandfather. I’m very, very close to him and he is in failing health at 91 so it meant a lot to me to say the least. I wanted to have the family name etched with a laser or engraved on the spine. I contacted Ray at Gentleman’s Best, but never got around to sending it to him to get done (Procrastinating finally worked out to my benefit). In any event, can anyone recommend someone here to do this work that is very trustworthy. This razor has immense sentimental value so I want it done right, and above all, I don’t want it lost.

Thanks!

Contact Ray again. He's the guy for doing such a job.

But, perhaps you should think about just leaving the razor as it is? As your greatgrandfather had it, and used it?

Also remember that we require that you post a pic of the razor!:w00t:

I'll post pics when I can. I may end up leaving it as is (may not have a choice), but my grandfather got a kick out of the idea of having our name on the spine.

I'm very reluctant to contact Ray given his recent history with lost razors and the closing of GB. I don't doubt the talent--the man does amazing work, but this wouldn't be something I could replace.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Rudy Vey may have a contact as all his brushes are engraved on the bottom

I'd be cautious about engraving the blade due to heat and losing temper.

Maybe de-pin, engrave inboard side, then re-pin?

This would be a nice way to keep original at a glance, but when one hears the story, and naturally picks it up to admire, it will be a nice subtle surprise.

Laser engraving on a finished blade is about the only way to go, to have something added.
The hardened steel will be *very* difficult to engrave with a conventional engraving machiene, and I don't know too many artists that would be willing to hand engrave a spine or tang. I would also be *very* leary of doing any kind of acid etching. Unless you have a LOT of experience with etching, it could go very badly, very quick.
I would either find someone else who has experience laser engraving and dealing with straight razors, or I would pull the scales off, carefully add a small engraved oval to the outside of one of the scales and then reassemble them. That way you would have the origional razor and scales with the family name engraved in the center of the front scale.

edit: if you decide to add an oval to the scales, engrave the oval first before you try to attach it to the scales. You can attach it to any type of scale by drilling two small holes in the plate, place the plate where you want it on the scale. Then drill the holes through the scale. Attach by putting a small drop of epoxy or ca in the hole and run a small flat head pin through both the plate and the scale. Trim the excess pin from the interior of the scale and sand lightly to make it flush. Remember to match the diameter of the hole with the diameter of the pin.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Laser etching is your only way as far as I know. We used to etch 62 Rc bearings with either acid or lasers. The acid was a huge pain and could wear off easily. Lasers will put a much deeper etch in the steel, but the heat affected zone is minimal due to the short burst time and extreme focus of the beam.

There are often lasers used to etch acrylic etc, you might try a sign making shop, or contact the laser suppliers (Trumpf, Roefin) to see if they know of someone in your area who has a machine.

Cheers,
Sean

Thank you all for the great posts. I think I'm going to hold off on anything until I can find someone with a laser. I may have a nice case made for it as a middle-ground until the right craftsman can be found.

Top Bottom