What's new

Difference between Golden Extra, Mixture Scottish, & Symphony?

I haven't tried Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish, but the other two I've liked quite a bit. (Actually I would prefer their Burley London Blend, but that's not always available, is it? No trouble finding these three.)

For those of you who've tried all three: What if any are the differences between them, and which do you prefer?

I haven’t tried symphony but mixture Scottish is completely different from GE. It has so many tobaccos blended in that it really seems like a bouquet of flavors. It’s more Virginia forward, but the burley and Kentucky are there.

I would describe the topping as just sugary. There’s no honey added, but it tastes like it sometimes as a result of the blended tobaccos with cavendish and sweet topping. There’s a hint of toasted tobacco taste on a malted background for me.

The great thing about Scottish is that it has so many flavors blended that each bowl points at a different direction, just lovely.

I like them both and wouldn’t choose just one. They both have their place.

Because of this thread, I’ll finish my bowl of Barbary coast and pack some SM in my savinelli 106.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
All three are available in bulk, so I'd recommend buying an ounce or two of each to try and see what you like. But here are my thoughts on the three:

Mixture. Virginia forward, medium bodied and medium strength. The KY in it adds a lot and isn't overpowering. Really well behaved smoke, no bite. Described as aromatic, but I don't really get any aromatic character from it, except for maybe a touch of sweetness, but that's more of a natural virginia sweetness anyway. One of my favorite blends, and if I had to pick a blend to smoke exclusively for the rest of my life it would probably be Mixture Flake. Mixture and Mixture Flake are basically the same blend, just in ribbon and flake format.

Golden Extra is burley forward, but on the mild/light side. Kind of meh to me.

It's been ages since I smoked Symphony, but my memory is that it is pretty mild and leans a little more cavendish/aromatic than the others, but it's not overwhelmingly aromatic. Mild burley in front, some sweetness in the middle, and a whisper of virginia off in the distance. Also kind of meh.

Top Bottom