What's new

Did I clean these well enough for use?

I posted this in gd but didn't receive many responses. Please let me know what you think.

I inherited these razors and proceeded to clean them a bit with a dremel using a rubber bit. I then used metal wax cleaner to try and remove whatever rust I could see followed by some metal wax polish followed by a dunk in some barbacide.

I know the straights need to be honed but besides that, is more recommended?

Here's what they look like:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
They look ok from the pictures. Anything else is just cosmetic, and is up to you. They look plenty clean enough to use.

While I do not consider myself an expert on restoring, my philosophy is to not go further than I am comfortable with. If my razors don't look brand new, but I didn't screw them up, I can always go back and touch them up as my skills improve. Very nice razors BTW. That faux tortise shell looks great!

The one marked 99 or 66 is going to need a fair bit of edge work, but the blade is clean enough to put to use. It has a "funky" frown near the heel and pitting near the tip.

I would get some barbicide or equivalent for the DE. The smallest container will last you a very long time.

Phil

The one marked 99 or 66 is going to need a fair bit of edge work, but the blade is clean enough to put to use. It has a "funky" frown near the heel and pitting near the tip.

I would get some barbicide or equivalent for the DE. The smallest container will last you a very long time.

Phil

I have some barbicide and I dunked them all in a mix with water for 10 minutes. I know they need to be sharpened before use so I'll look at doing that.

Even with the pitting, the razors should be usable, correct?

Last edited:
Top Bottom