What's new

Detailed info on the Thiers-Issard 4-paddle strop

I am reposting my conversation with the Thiers-Issard company about their 4-paddle strop. I had alot of basic questions that I could not get answers to. They were very helpful and clear in their response. I hope this helps others out as well.

I decided to contact the company (Thiers-Issard) directly and I received a prompt and clear reply. Here is my question and their reply:

QUESTION***********************************************

Ok, I am greatly confused and overwhelmed. I've even posted this question to shaving forums and still can't get absolute answers.

I recently purchased your 4 sided paddle strop. I am obviously new to this game and your product was recommended. The instructions that came with the strop discussed a 2-paddle model, not the one I purchased. I am trying to understand how the strop is to be used with pastes so I have a volley of questions:

1. What is the coarseness of each side (not the paste grits)? This is not even detailed on-line from what I can tell.
2. Do I even need to use pastes? Can the razor be used on all four sides in succession without pastes?
3. If pastes are recommended, what pastes should I use and on what sides?
4. If I only get one paste (due to the costs), which is recommended and for which side?
5. Is this strop to be used like a hone at anytime (blade leading sharpening)? Which side and which paste?

Sorry for my barrage. Please advise.

Dave C.

REPLY***********************************************
Hi Dave -
...as to your strop. It's really intended for use with pastes but can be used without. On the end near where the handle joins you will see indentations - 1,2,3 or 4. 1 is the coarsest leather, 2 the next and so on. If using without paste I would stick to number 4 (smooth leather) and 3 (black suede). Use 4 for everyday use and 3 for when you need a slightly coarser 'nap' to restore the edge - THEN use no. 4 to finish. Ther is no set 'coarseness' to the leathers as there would be in hones.

There are no hard and fast rules as to which paste to use on which side but I would suggest this - on 1 use 3 micron diamond paste, on 2 use 1 micron, on 3 use quarter micron and leave the smooth leather bare for finishing. If that is going to be expensive, just get quarter micron then when funds allow 1 micron. As said - you don't need to use pastes but these will give a polished edge much quicker than the bare leathers.

NEVER use the strop in the manner of a hone, i'e edge leading - you'll slice bits off and ruin the edge.

More questions? I'm here to help.

Regards
Steve Dempster

Top Bottom