What's new

DE query

Ok,

I am clearly about to work on the learning curve using a straight.

Since my work and life style dictate I am often "Back a bush" or in standard English speak in the field, I also need a safety razor.

Not that I would be hesitant to use a straight in the field, but given the effort it takes to maintain a nice shaving edge I would not want it damaged.

I have sworn off the plastic Bics and other imported disposables with the 2, 3 and 4 blade cartridges.

So I have read the extremely informative sections on DE razors and blades as well as the reviews.

At this point it seems that these two below may be the best choices for me.

Merkur 38C or Edwin Jagger DE89L

For blades, the Feather DE seem these may be the best.
So once I select a razor I will order 20 blades as a starter.

So my question is where are the best places to purchase one of the razors and blades?

I am not interested in eBay since most do not ship outside of the U.S.

Amazon.com will ship and has since the get-go with research books and other items. Any options there? ...good [read reliable] web sites?

Thanks again all of you for taking time to create such a rich resource on the WEB.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bob's first link is probably the best link for you.

There are a few vendors in the UK that would probably ship to your place too...

The Merkur or EJ are both excellent razors. Difficult choice!

I like the Merkur line up of razors. I currently own the 34c and love the little extra weight. It helps me to not add pressure when I shave, because I can feel the razor on my skin.

Hands down winner is the Edwin Jagger DE89L. A great newly designed head and quality control Merkur can't touch.

Can be purchased at Amazon.

I have the black handled DE 86 (same head) and think it is the best DE currently available, new or vintage.

Start with something other than a Feather, perhaps a sampler pack of blades from West Coast, if John will ship to Central America.

Last edited:
Top Bottom