What's new

Creed Samples

Really? Better than Pour un Homme de Caron?..

Actually it's interesting that you asked this. I just tried my sample of Caron pour un homme and enjoyed it enough to go out and buy a small bottle. They are both different. I think the Royal Scottish Lavender has more beauty than Caron but Caron probably has more sillage and longevity. Caron is more a more rustic dirty kind of lavender and Creed is more clean and ethereal. The Creed is better but would be hands down better if the sillage and longevity could improve. Many will like Caron more for those reasons. Definitely if you love lavender you should at least sample the Creed. I actually want both. :biggrin1:

Actually it's interesting that you asked this. I just tried my sample of Caron pour un homme and enjoyed it enough to go out and buy a small bottle. They are both different. I think the Royal Scottish Lavender has more beauty than Caron but Caron probably has more sillage and longevity. Caron is more a more rustic dirty kind of lavender and Creed is more clean and ethereal. The Creed is better but would be hands down better if the sillage and longevity could improve. Many will like Caron more for those reasons. Definitely if you love lavender you should at least sample the Creed. I actually want both. :biggrin1:

yeah it's a pretty heady combo of lavender + vanilla that defies all explanation as to how it's so good. evidently Caron did not tinker too much with the formula and intentionally kept it as true to the 1934 juice Daltroff put out. you'll have fun with Pour un Homme . . . if you haven't already, try a few different variations of applying it to skin . . . for example, I think (but don't know because everyone's skin chemistry is different) that if you just put a spritz or two of the Caron on, you'll find the lavender explodes for about ninety seconds, followed by the creamiest non-gourmand vanilla ever executed in the history of modern perfume. I mean it really jumps out at you. But if you apply like six or seven concentrated spritzes, chances are the lavender will brighten - actually self-clean - and will remain alive far, far longer than it did with the light touch. with heavy application (8 + sprays) the lavender becomes very green and floral on me for about forty-five minutes, and fades much more gradually.

the Creed . . . it sounds wonderful. I have to be in the mood for something on its best behavior with Creed though, as they're all very "nice" smelling. unless Acier Aluminium is a departure from that . . .

yeah it's a pretty heady combo of lavender + vanilla that defies all explanation as to how it's so good. evidently Caron did not tinker too much with the formula and intentionally kept it as true to the 1934 juice Daltroff put out. you'll have fun with Pour un Homme . . . if you haven't already, try a few different variations of applying it to skin . . . for example, I think (but don't know because everyone's skin chemistry is different) that if you just put a spritz or two of the Caron on, you'll find the lavender explodes for about ninety seconds, followed by the creamiest non-gourmand vanilla ever executed in the history of modern perfume. I mean it really jumps out at you. But if you apply like six or seven concentrated spritzes, chances are the lavender will brighten - actually self-clean - and will remain alive far, far longer than it did with the light touch. with heavy application (8 + sprays) the lavender becomes very green and floral on me for about forty-five minutes, and fades much more gradually.

I've done the 2 sprays and it's pretty good and a little stronger than Creed. 8 sprays to me seems daring for sure.

the Creed . . . it sounds wonderful. I have to be in the mood for something on its best behavior with Creed though, as they're all very "nice" smelling. unless Acier Aluminium is a departure from that . . .

Most Creeds are nice or good and a few are fantastic. I still feel GIT, MI, REL, RSL, B d P, Cypres Musc, Chevrefeuille are the great ones IMHO. I got no headaches and I enjoyed them from top note to base note and from spritz to dry-down. The ones I only "like" could be great for other people depending on their skin chemistry. Acier Aluminum to me is like a fruity, nutty, woody, spicy smell that reminds me of winter and the holidays. I still prefer the comparable Royal English Leather so to save money buying just one is enough for me. I'll still use up my sample of Acier Aluminum this Christmas though.

Enjoy your lavender :thumbup1:

Looks like they didn't charge me or send out Selection Verte because it's discontinued so that's that.

Anyways enjoy the Creed!

Last edited:
Bois de Santal

proxy.php

Top Notes: Greens, orange, lemon
Middle: Sandalwood
Base: Tonka bean, vanilla

It starts off with sharp alcohol smell and greens (a little bit like Tabarome Millesime which I don't like but with citrus instead of ginger which I like better). The greens overpower the citrus but as it dries down you get a nice sandalwood with vanilla to sweeten it. To me this beats Tabarome Millesime hands down. This is also better than original santal which is too sickly sweet but this is more balanced and almost spicy sweet sandalwood. The smell improves with time. The scent is long lasting and powerful. I don't think I would need too many sprays with it. This is also discontinued. I think there is a mostly full bottle of it on BST if you want otherwise you'll have to find someone to decant it for you or take your chances with ebay. If you like vanilla and sandalwood this is the ticket but what's funny is that you'll have to wait a good hour for it to show up after the greens die down. The character of this fragrance really changes. If you like Trumper's Sandalwood shaving cream, just add some vanilla and that's how it dries down.

This is truly one of my favorite sandalwood scents, which is really going some, because there are some nice sandalwoods out there. I am going to have to re-sniff some when I get home, and I will probably just add onto this post by editing it. I do not remember so much in the way of greens and citrus in the top. But one thing I do like about it is that is smells like a real sandalwood scent. Neither sandalwood all by itself, nor some scent labelled sandalwood that has some much else going on that the sandalwood isn't even really center stage. Relatively dry I would say along the spectrum of sweet to dry sandalwood scents, but not austere by any means. Certainly the best of the Creed sandalwoods, which is sort of lame given that it is discontinued. And, to me, bests a whole lot of other top sandalwoods out there by other esteemed scent makers.

This is truly one of my favorite sandalwood scents, which is really going some, because there are some nice sandalwoods out there. I am going to have to re-sniff some when I get home, and I will probably just add onto this post by editing it. I do not remember so much in the way of greens and citrus in the top. But one thing I do like about it is that is smells like a real sandalwood scent. Neither sandalwood all by itself, nor some scent labelled sandalwood that has some much else going on that the sandalwood isn't even really center stage. Relatively dry I would say along the spectrum of sweet to dry sandalwood scents, but not austere by any means. Certainly the best of the Creed sandalwoods, which is sort of lame given that it is discontinued. And, to me, bests a whole lot of other top sandalwoods out there by other esteemed scent makers.

It is the most long lasting (like most Creed private collections) sandalwood fragrance I've smelled. Vanilla and Sandalwood work very well together. The other one I love is Cyprus Musc. I bought a 30ml decant because it's also discontinued. I'm sure we'll hear some moaning when Windsor eventually is dismissed from the catalog. It's another one that is powerful and long lasting. It could be that the number of bottles that can be made (without destroying the environment and depleting resources) has to be limited.

Thanks for the sample. I'll definitely use it up.

It is the most long lasting (like most Creed private collections) sandalwood fragrance I've smelled. Vanilla and Sandalwood work very well together. The other one I love is Cyprus Musc. I bought a 30ml decant because it's also discontinued. I'm sure we'll hear some moaning when Windsor eventually is dismissed from the catalog. It's another one that is powerful and long lasting. It could be that the number of bottles that can be made (without destroying the environment and depleting resources) has to be limited.

Thanks for the sample. I'll definitely use it up.

I will just respond here rather than "edit" my post below!

First, let me say that your exploration of all of these scents and your posting of extensive notes on them is an enormous contribution to this forum and to the knowledge of us following along now and in the future.

You make me want to try all of them, even the ones you do not like. And your notes--invariably excellent--make me think very hard about and sniff very intensely the Creed scents I do have. And I would definitely like to try the Cyprus Musc. Sounds like a wonderful green scent!

Re the Bois de Santal: I had said that I would have to revisit the scent as "I do not remember so much in the way of greens and citrus in the top." On revisit, I tend to agree with you. Particularly at its very opening, there is a strong blast of stuff other than sandalwood and vanilla, and it hangs in there for a bit as the sandalwood emerges. And your are probably right that there is quite a bit of vanilla in there with the sandalwood on an ongoing basis. Your nose is more sensitive than mine is. Sandalwood by itself is so complex that I have trouble picking out adjunct notes as distinct from sandalwood itself. But all of these things going on in the scent I am sure contribute to the sense of it that I expressed before, which is this is a real sandalwood scent. Neither a "soliflore" so to speak of sandalwood (I know that sandalwood is not a flower!) nor an abstract scent with sandalwood in the name but which is really a collection of all sorts of blended notes which in include sandalwood but which do not necessarily showcase sandalwood all that much.

I would not have said that this is necessarily the long-lasting sandalwood, but it does have very nice tenacity particularly for a Creed. It really does evolve for quite a long-time before settling in for the long-term, too. Always a good sign in a scent to me!

Thanks again for all!

The only problem with Creed is that you get spoiled so when you go back to department store brands they seem harsh and exagerrated. :laugh:

The only problem with Creed is that you get spoiled so when you go back to department store brands they seem harsh and exagerrated. :laugh:

I know what you are saying. And it is true of lots of things. And Creeds are not the most expensive scents out there. It can be worse!

"Things ain't now like they used to be,
I'd have more fun, but the women they're so hard to please!"

I just bought the Creed Silver Mountain water-125ml spray and am looking forward to seeing how I like wearing it for a few weeks. My other choice was Millesime Imperial but that will have to wait.

Top Bottom