What's new

Creams without Soap

What if you didn’t ever ever ever want to put soap on your face? There are cleansing products such as Cerave that don’t have soap in them. But what about shaving creams? Most of them list sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as an ingredient. Are you aware of any that don’t have soap in them? Cremo is the only candidate of which I am aware. And then there are shave oils and shaving butters, but I’m not aware of any reviews of those. Weigh in if you know of any soapless wonders!

BarBasol 1919 is probably similar to Cremo and is good stuff.

Keep in mind that sodium and potassium hydroxide are often added in small amounts just to balance the pH of the final product.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
BarBasol 1919 is probably similar to Cremo and is good stuff.

Keep in mind that sodium and potassium hydroxide are often added in small amounts just to balance the pH of the final product.
The 1919 has a vintage packaging that is just too cool. :euro:

What if you didn’t ever ever ever want to put soap on your face? There are cleansing products such as Cerave that don’t have soap in them. But what about shaving creams? Most of them list sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as an ingredient. Are you aware of any that don’t have soap in them? Cremo is the only candidate of which I am aware. And then there are shave oils and shaving butters, but I’m not aware of any reviews of those. Weigh in if you know of any soapless wonders!

The manufacturer has an option to list the ingredients before or after the soap is made. Potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide are consumed in a chemical reaction to make the soap, so you won't be exposed to those chemicals when shaving.

Most shaving creams that don't contain soap have synthetic surfactants instead (aka detergents). In addition, they may contain other chemicals that may not be good for us, such as triethanolamine.

Last edited:
Jack Black Beard Lube, which is the best shaving product on the market IMO. No soap, slicker than slick, case closed. Wet Shavers find it appalling because it reminds them how much time and money they waste on making the perfect lather. I couldn’t help myself 😂. Reviews? Plenty.

Last edited:
EOS makes some latherless creams that work well if you're looking for that. They're very much like shaving lotions that are made to rinse off.

I've heard good things about Giovanni shaving cream too if people are looking for a latherless cream, although I've not tried it myself.

Some smaller vendors seem to be selling a version of this meadowfoam oil shaving gel (for example, Shave Gel - Made for Sensitive Skin - https://nwbeautyworks.com/products/shave-gel-made-for-sensitive-skin). I've tried it and liked it, although it is a nonlathering, nonfoaming gel, and I prefer a lathering soap-like cream.

Top Bottom