What's new

Coping saw?

Hey guys, as I continue my search for a scale and wedge cutting solution that is practical for my small apartment/limited space I have been advised to look at getting a coping saw... which is no problem, they are really cheap... however, when I am thinking about making small cuts to shape out a wedge, it doesn't seem very practical.

Is there any type of a stationary coping saw that can be locked down, and then grind the material against the saw blade instead of sawing the material? A band saw, or power equipment like that won't really work here, so I'm trying to figure out a better way...

Any advice is appreciated.

You can do some really fine delicate work with a jewelers saw,I think far better than a coping saw JMO

Sorry, I have never been much of a tool guy, so I'm learning this stuff now... gonna google jewler's saw and see what I can find out. Thanks.

*edit* Looks like a small coping saw... but the one I'm looking at you can position the blade at any angle in the saw. I could position it sideways and then clamp the saw to the end of my table. That might work.

Last edited:
weither you are using a coping saw or a jewelers saw, you will need to use it with a bench pin attached to your table with a C clamp.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185548
You can find an example of both a jewelers saw and bench pin early on in this post.
A jewelers saw will take heavier blades that should work well for cutting wedges out of most any material.

cheers!

I cut all my G10 scales with a coping saw as all I have are a scroll saw and you can't even get through one blade without trashing it for a set of scales.

A coping saw blade lasts about 2 sets of scales and then is trashed, but they are far cheaper.

Thanks, John C... I don't know why I didn't think to ask you for this type of advice right off the bat. I'm a big fan of your work, by the way.

Thanks again.

weither you are using a coping saw or a jewelers saw, you will need to use it with a bench pin attached to your table with a C clamp.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185548
You can find an example of both a jewelers saw and bench pin early on in this post.
A jewelers saw will take heavier blades that should work well for cutting wedges out of most any material.

cheers!
Big plus 1 for bench-pin!
Doesn't have to be from the store, easily made by yourself.

I usually just cut my wedges with a knife.
A really sharp, thin one, works on most materials maybe sans acrylic.

Joe, do you use the same saw for the small cuts, for wedges? If so, are you locking down the material and moving the saw, or vice versa?

Sometimes I will use the scroll saw for this, but other times I'll use the coping saw. I actually just hold the G10 to my bench with my left hand and cut away with my right.

I put thin blue tape over both sides of all the G10 to add a protective layer so it doesn't get all scratched up during the cutting that you'd have to sand out.

This is for trimming the wedge after gluing? Try a sanding block that has a very stiff backing to it.

Bench pins are nice, I have one that I clamp in my vise, it is made from a piece of scrap wood. Seems redundant but it isn't. No reason to not clamp a pin to a table or counter top, take it off when done. A rubber pad can prevent damage to the furniture surfaces.

Phil

I cut all my G10 scales with a coping saw

Another timely post as I am preparing to make my first set of scales using a coping saw - any advice on what blades work best for G10 ?

I just have ordinary ones for wood - which look a bit on the coarse side - so was planning on trying to find something finer. Or track down a jewellery saw and blades.

Top Bottom