What's new

Charles Tyrwhitt sale

I've bought many a shirt from CT. This go-around 5 Sea Islands, 2 blue, 2 white and a stripey one.

As an aside, I bought (and am now using) their shaving kit, brush, razor handle, cream and AS balm on clearance. I bought a dozen each cream and balm when they went on discontinued at $5 apiece. Does anyone know who made their razor/brush?

Tyrwhitt make great shirts, I am building up quite a stock. Their jackets and coats also are fantastic, and the prices are pretty reasonable because the quality is very good.

A simila company I also like is T M Lewin.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a Tyrwhitt addict myself, and can speak very highly of their shirts, ties, and cufflinks, of which I have a great selsction. I have a few sweaters and pants (which are fine too, but I don't have enough to say "fantastic" without a lengthier track record.)

I find they have a very good price:quality ratio for high-end stuff, and a user-friendly website. (No, I DON'T work for them!!)

Typically, they change up their product line twice a year for spring and winter, start off with a 25% price-cut, then in mid-season have a 2-for-3 sale, and finally a real discount sale at the end of the season (which is the best time to pick up some real steals, but some product will be sold out by then, never to return!)

I have been a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt for a long time (almost 6 years now since I first saw an ad for their offers in an issue of Esquire). I was a rabid fan, mostly because they made their products in England (or in the case of some of the ties, Italy) and offered them at very reasonable prices. Personally I try to find clothes that are not made in certain nations known for producing goods of lesser quality. In the past year or two, I have noticed that Tyrwhitt has went the way of many of clothiers and now has their products made other places other than England. About the only products that are still made in England or sourced from other EU nations available at Tyrwhitt are the Superfine 180s shirts, the 7 fold and handmade ties, and the sterling cuff links. Other than that, the chances are, anything else that is sold there is made in another country the only connection is has to Jermyn Street is the name on the box.

Now, I am still a fan of their products, I think they make some of the sharpest looking clothes out there, but I have noticed a slight drop off in the quality of some of my shirts since they have started outsourcing their clothes. I guess that is the way of the world these days, however, and they are still better than many other choices out there.

With that being said, anyone who wears ties and is a collector, if you have not already picked up a 7 fold tie, I hardly reccomend it. They are as luxurious as any tie I have ever had (including Turnbull & Asser, T M Lewin...) and definitely thicker with more material used to make such a product. You will love them IMHO. During this sale, I picked up the sherwood plum 7 fold tie and am anxiously waiting for its arrrival.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Further to MacArthur Mike's comments, I just received a zipper-front cardigan, a handmade tie, and all-cashmere cardigan, and find that they are "made in china". That's not where I want my high-quality clothing to come from! We'll see how they pan out.

But I have only occasionally seen information in their website about where the products are made, and only when they boast a British provenance (such as their shoes). They also mention if their cloth has an exotic provenance, such as Italy.

Has anyone out there tried their shoes? I'd like to know how they hold up under long-term use.

Above, I posted about some Sea Island Cotton shirts I bought.
After I ordered, I got another email offering and saw they had dropped $20 apiece.
A quick pleasant email to them resulted in an $80 refund. Sweet.

Of course they more than got it back in a coat and 2 more casual shirts that I subsequently ordered.

Has anyone out there tried their shoes? I'd like to know how they hold up under long-term use.

Once again, the same applies. The first time they offered shoes, they were were advertise as British benchmade shoes from a source somewhere in England. So I picked up a pair of the square toes and found them to be very very nice. Now however, most of their shoes are imported made in a nation known for lesser quality goods. In order to get the real-deal British made shoes, you will have to splurge on their line of shoes in calf leather. Don't know how the "new" imports models hold up against their older bretheren made in the jolly old UK.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
To be fair ... further to my previous comments about buying two sweaters and finding them made in China, I did actually buy a third (a merino blend) which turned out to be made in Italy. (It wasn't handy when I made my previous post.)

None of this information was avaiable on the website, although for the Italian sweater, they did mention that it was made of Italian yarn.

I think at least some CT shoe styles are made by an English company called Loake. I have some Loake suede boots and they are exactly the same as those offered by Tyrwhitt. I have tried them on in the Jermyn Street shop so I am not just talking about seeing a photo in a brochure on the web.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think at least some CT shoe styles are made by an English company called Loake. I have some Loake suede boots and they are exactly the same as those offered by Tyrwhitt. I have tried them on in the Jermyn Street shop so I am not just talking about seeing a photo in a brochure on the web.

Oddly enough, I had ordered a pair of their shoes (regular leather, not the expensive calfskin) which arrived ... today. They're made in England (no one's name other than CT, so cannot confirm or deny Loake's involvement.) These came with two ties from their midrange "handmade" category made in Italy, and a pair of casual pants made in Indonesia. I checked, and their website identified the provenance of the shoes and ties.

So they appear to still have plenty of stuff from England & Italy; the lesson being, if you don't see the provenance listed in advance, assume Third-World manufacture.

I like the shoes, BTW, but can't say more than that ... first day and all.

Top Bottom