What's new

Champagnes ( Sparkling wines )

Rick, if you have a Whole Foods Market out your way, they had some great stuff. Italian Prosecco was $10, I think. They might have had some of the Domaine Chandon that Scotto mentioned, too.

Many Italian prosecos can be had for that price range.

Another good option are the Spanish cavas - Frexinet is good as is Seguras.

Some of the Auzie sparklers are also good - Seaview Brut is quite nice for the price.

Another option (depending on numbers) is a half bottle - that's what I get when its just my wife and I.

It's New year's Day. After scrapping off the possible hangover, bring out the reviews of said recommended champagnes! I bought a Domaine Chandon but it did not get cracked last night. Will open it this evening instead for bubbly goodness.

Dennis

freixenet

I second that: Cava Freixenet Cordon Negro from Barcelona, Spain: most sold sparkling wine in the world: equals Champagne for quality and taste; is in fact Champagne but cannot be called Champagne because this in only restricted to the sparkling wine from the so called region in France.

Price in Holland: 9 euro's which is about 11-12 USD.

Peter

HappyNewYear....

I wont bore you all with the ugly particulars of the evening...
whatta nightmare we had.
But...
enjoyed some quality time with close friends and sampled:

Veuve Cliquot
Piper Sonoma Brut
Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Blanc.

Hope everyone had a safe night.
Happy 2007 !

HappyNewYear....

I wont bore you all with the ugly particulars of the evening...
whatta nightmare we had.
But...
enjoyed some quality time with close friends and sampled:

Veuve Cliquot
Piper Sonoma Brut
Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Blanc.

Hope everyone had a safe night.
Happy 2007 !

So which was the preferred wine of the night?

Veuve is one of our faves ....so there you have it.
I was impressed with the Gloria Ferrer and we'll be buying more of it.

I gotta say tho,
we've been sampling Cavas and Proseccos as of late and my uneducated palate finds many of these "cheap" sparklies to be very tasty.

Hey Rick,

For sub $20 Chandon and Gloria Ferrer are very good.

Schramsberg makes some good offerings as well. The Blanc de Blanc is very good and about $28. At about $75 the J. Schram is outstanding. If you find yourself up in the Napa Valley I would recommend a tour and tasting at their winery.

Top Bottom