What's new

Brush help

I got this in an antique shop hoping that I could make it look better and then replace the knot. It is made of a rubber feeling material and unfortunately has a dull whitish look over the handle. I had hoped that I could clean that off and make the black shinier than it looks now. I washed it with soap and water with no improvement, then tried isopropyl alcohol and it was no better, no worse afterwards. Does anyone know if I’m out of luck improving it or if there’s a good solution? Thanks for any advice or information.
IMG_3087.jpeg
IMG_3087.jpeg

A polishing wheel and some flitz polish would probably take that out. If it is deeper you might need some fine sand paper first.

Scroll down to the bottom of the brush section here and you will find a brush restoration and makers section that you might find some helpful older threads in.

I got this in an antique shop hoping that I could make it look better and then replace the knot. It is made of a rubber feeling material and unfortunately has a dull whitish look over the handle. I had hoped that I could clean that off and make the black shinier than it looks now. I washed it with soap and water with no improvement, then tried isopropyl alcohol and it was no better, no worse afterwards. Does anyone know if I’m out of luck improving it or if there’s a good solution? Thanks for any advice or information. View attachment 1828843View attachment 1828843
Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you, but that's a great find, sir! Congratulations!

You could try methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen, possibly diluted in isopropyl alcohol if you want to get a larger volume of solution) to try and rejuvenate/soften the rubber a bit! I learned this trick from some automotive forums years ago and tried it on some lawnmower breather tubes with acceptable effect!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I tried a little bit of everything but I think the things that helped most were fine grit sandpaper and then I used this 3 step system, NOVUS, that’s made for plastic and I was really impressed with the results on this hard rubber brush handle. It’s not perfect but so much better than I expected when I look at the 1st picture above. Let me know what you think.
IMG_3237.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3239.jpeg
IMG_3239.jpeg
IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3238.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I tried a little bit of everything but I think the things that helped most were fine grit sandpaper and then I used this 3 step system, NOVUS, that’s made for plastic and I was really impressed with the results on this hard rubber brush handle. It’s not perfect but so much better than I expected when I look at the 1st picture above. Let me know what you think.
View attachment 1837621View attachment 1837621View attachment 1837622View attachment 1837622View attachment 1837623View attachment 1837623View attachment 1837624View attachment 1837624
Came out nice! I use Novus on all my brushes!

Top Bottom