What's new

Best Strops

I know it's sacrilege around these parts, but I stropped on a "pleather" notebook for 8 months, and never had a bad shave...

Not sacrilege at all! TM makes a vegan friendly strop that I have no doubt works. Tony is the kind of guy that wouldn't sell it if it didn't work. Plenty of folks have used newspaper as a temporary strop while on the road. I have seen BDM's observances of leather machine belts wearing steel in person. (grew up on a farm) There is abrasion, or burnishing, polishing, SOMETHING going on that can be seen and felt. The romantic in me is just happy they can't precisely define it even using the best technology available to figure it out! Sometimes it is cool to do the wise old man thing... "Rub that on some leather son, it will shave better"

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I got my Kanayama #3 in the mail today and wow, I had no idea that it would be this nice. It's just as smooth as can be. It's about as close to effortless as I think you can get stropping a razor. Truly an absolute joy to use.

indeed it is. Well worth the coin.

Can anybody point me where I can buy Neil Miller strop? i tried to search but nothing comes up.
Neil passed away not too long ago. A great loss. I can't find his old URL; I don't know if it would have any strops available in any case.

Hi, I just ordered a Kanayama Cordovan Strop 50000 w/linen backing from Japanese Natural Stones. The company is based in Denmark and my contact person is Maksim Enevoldsen. The size of the 50000 is 600mm long, 68mm wide, and 3mm thick. Ed

I got my [COLOR=[URL=http://badgerandblade.com/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3[/URL] 33333]Kanayama #3 in the mail today and wow, I had no idea that it would be this nice. It's just as smooth as can be. It's about as close to effortless as I think you can get stropping a razor. Truly an absolute joy to use. [/COLOR]

Where did you get your Kanayama #3 from? I just ordered a Kanayama 50000 today from Japanese Natural Stones. They did not have any #3 's. The 50000 is 68mm wide as opposed to the #3 , which is 66mm wide. Ed

I have two TM strops (Steerhide & Fast Bridal)
I have been wanting a Kanayama #3 but it seems they just are not available.
My big surprise was the Mrs. getting me a 3" Horween oil tanned with linen from Torolof at Scruppleworks (should be here in a few weeks)

If I would to buy a Kanayama strop and leave it sitting for awhile, would the leather ruin overtime? So the number only indicates the thickness, or also the quality of the leather?

Last edited:
If I would to buy a Kanayama strop and leave it sitting for awhile, would the leather ruin overtime? So the number only indicates the thickness, or also the quality of the leather?

Length width and thickness and I have heard that the thickness can vary some on the less expensive models.

Top Bottom