What's new

barber vs beauty salon

both times the barber's idea of 'short' meant giving me a military buzzcut
Then you have barbers arround your area (assuming you went there) that are not not well trained/lack care.
Those arround here are mediocre at best, but when you say short the first thing they ask is
"approximately how short would you want it?" Plus follow up questions like
"how short would you like the neck? and the side of head?"
And I prefer neither, I use a clipper on myself.

Last edited:
I cut my own hair.

But, I would pick barber. Still a few old guys around here that I would trust over all the new places. Might even let my hair grow out more than normal this winter and then go to a barber to get a cut and straight razor shave. Hair is thinning a bit on top, but maybe if a barber was to use the thinning shears, he could even it out a little... Always had THICK hair when I was younger, too.

Have been to salons, they do OK. Just not the same experience, though!

I go to the same barber that gave me my first hair cut 35 years ago. The shop hasn't changed at all, 2 giant red barber chairs with strops, hundreds of bottles of every imaginable tonic lining the walls. All that's changed is the price, and it's still a hell of a bargain @ $8 for a cut, $10 for a shave...$16 if ya get both.

I like this new place near me called Sport Clips. They over emphasizes the guy mentality with the sports and what now. But what counts is I get a good hair cut that comes with a hot towel and a shampoo for around 20 bucks.

I like this new place near me called Sport Clips. They over emphasizes the guy mentality with the sports and what now. But what counts is I get a good hair cut that comes with a hot towel and a shampoo for around 20 bucks.

Goes to show the difference in locale. Around here, Sport Clips is reviled as the Great Imposter. Claims of catering to guys, but a bunch of underpaid novice salon workers. I went once, and when she was "done" my sideburns were roughly half an inch different in length. The barbers around here don't have issues with trying out different competitors, but will laugh at you if you say you want to try out SC.

I don't live in Houston, but that was where I got my best haircut ever - Kirby's Barbershop (or something like that). It was near a hospital on the west side.

After being in the Air Force for several years I couldn't go back to a stylist for my hair cutting needs. Found a local good barber shop when I moved home and didn't look back. At least until my hair started receding and decided it was time for it to go (see avatar). A couple times when my barber was on vacation and I NEEDED a haircut I would go wherever my wife was going at the time with no success. He does shaves also so I've been thinking about paying him a visit for a good hot shave.

Top Bottom