What's new

Any blacksmiths or vintage tool collectors out there?

I really like blacksmithing and collecting old tools. It's not so much about having the most collectible item as much as it is the search to find it. I'm love picking through junk, and going to flea markets, thrift stores, antique stores and estate sales to find that killer item. Same with shaving stuff, it's all about the hunt baby! Anyone can go on The Bay and pay top dollar for an item but that's no fun! I wish there were more people my age who were into this kind of stuff that I could pick with but hey....more for me.:thumbup1:

In my backyard there's a 175lb Peter Wright anvil, bought it for one job, made a good buck
and there she sits for the past 20 years.

In my backyard there's a 175lb Peter Wright anvil, bought it for one job, made a good buck
and there she sits for the past 20 years.

:w00t:PA isn't all that far...let me know if you ever want to give it up. :lol: After all, it's been sitting in your backyard since I was born! Lol

I did sell the forge and hammers and such but I kept the anvil and blacksmith vise
I guess I just like em. My regret at the time of purchase it was between this one and a
500lb Fisher, man that baby was a beauty, sadly just too heavy. I'll keep ya in mind though.

rob, where are you at in LI? i grew up in Huntington.

been dying to get into smithing. was just on iforgeiron lurking yesterday.

rob, where are you at in LI? i grew up in Huntington.

been dying to get into smithing. was just on iforgeiron lurking yesterday.

Suffolk County! I was born in Huntington myself. Are you on the Island still? I'm apart of a smithing group and go to open forges almost every weekend at a buddies house. Since I don't have a forge yet he gives me full reign of his shop and tool collection. I get to experiment and he likes the conversation.

Collecting "vintage" anything, ultimately leads to collecting other vintage items-like DE razors, fountain pens, watches, etc.

Ask me how I know.

FWIW, I began collecting vintage tools (mostly mechanics' tools-ratchets, sockets, wrenches) around 25 years ago. Other vintage things followed.

Beerman

I did sell the forge and hammers and such but I kept the anvil and blacksmith vise
I guess I just like em. My regret at the time of purchase it was between this one and a
500lb Fisher, man that baby was a beauty, sadly just too heavy. I'll keep ya in mind though.

A 175# Peter Wright is nothing to turn your nose up at! Fishers are beautiful though. There is a gentleman in NJ who bought out the rights to Fisher-Norris and now has a museum of all their old products and his collection. I've never been there but my buddy has and said its pretty incredible. I guess tools and such are more accessible in Pennsylvania and upstate New York due to the farm land and Amish communities. What was your project and where did you come across the tools if you don't mind me asking?

I bought the anvil from a farmer in New Jersey paid him "a buck a pound".
The job I was commissioned for was to fabricate a copy of a ornamental vase stand.
The original was from God knows when, 1880's maybe sticks in my mind.
Literally put a lot of sweat out on that work, Fussy PITA customer but we "got her done".

Collecting "vintage" anything, ultimately leads to collecting other vintage items-like DE razors, fountain pens, watches, etc.

Ask me how I know.

FWIW, I began collecting vintage tools (mostly mechanics' tools-ratchets, sockets, wrenches) around 25 years ago. Other vintage things followed.

Beerman

Yes it is..............but I can quit..................anytime...................REALLY!

Suffolk County! I was born in Huntington myself. Are you on the Island still? I'm apart of a smithing group and go to open forges almost every weekend at a buddies house. Since I don't have a forge yet he gives me full reign of his shop and tool collection. I get to experiment and he likes the conversation.

so i don't live there anymore, but my family is still there so i visit in the often enough. Suffolk is a big place..

that's pretty sweet setup you have access to, i need to find some folks like that here in VA

I don't collect them (or so I tell myself, they are "working" tools). I do like rust hunting. Mainly woodworking tools. I probably have close to 50 hand planes and have given a fair amount away. Some effort, and a little skill and knowledge and you can get those things working better than when they were new and much better than what you can buy new (except for the real expensive high end stuff). I pretty much never pass on a low cost pre-war hand tool.

My oldest that I can positively date is a handsaw from the 1880's. I paid $1 for it.

I was a smith for about 15 years. Made a little of everything I guess. Carpal tunnel did me in. Now thinking of setting up a small shop to do Damascus billets & forge razors & knives. Going to build a gas forge & pick up an anvil from friends still in the craft. Looking to get a power hammer to help keep the carpal tunnel at bay. I have worked with metal since I was in high school Also worked in Boiler rooms & was a Boiler Tech in the Navy. Best of luck to you.

Slawman

I was a smith for about 15 years. Made a little of everything I guess. Carpal tunnel did me in. Now thinking of setting up a small shop to do Damascus billets & forge razors & knives. Going to build a gas forge & pick up an anvil from friends still in the craft. Looking to get a power hammer to help keep the carpal tunnel at bay. I have worked with metal since I was in high school Also worked in Boiler rooms & was a Boiler Tech in the Navy. Best of luck to you.

Slawman

Thanks Slawman. Keep me updated, I'd love to see some of your work. I too hope your carpal tunnel stays at bay.

-Rob

Hand planes fascinate me but I still couldn't tell you the difference between a $3 hand plane and a $300 one. My friend has a couple hundred, maybe I'll ask him if I can take a few pictures.

Top Bottom