What's new

Another stupid "help me decide" thread

Hi folks.

Continuing my slide into DAS, I'm now looking for a finest/super badger to compliment my Tweederman.

Price is absolutely the issue here. Including shipping, I don't want to spend more than $70.

Shaving specs:

Face type: Sensitive skin, heavy beard. Need multiple passes to get everything. Prone to weepers.

Razor: Slim and Fatboy

Blades: Most likely to settle with Red Personas and Derbys

Soap: Omega (Poraso made), but would like to try different kinds of soap or "hard" soaps. Will not use creams.

Lathering technique: Kyle's prep, start by soaking the Poraso in hot water for a couple minutes, spilling out the water, then spending a minute or so swirling the brush in it, then do face painting to built a pasty but not overwhelming cake frosting thick layer.

Preferences: Scratchiness isn't that much of an issue. Prefer something that is strong enough to swirl a lot, but may be a bit denser. Soft but not so soft it affects face lathering quality.

With my price criteria and looking at reviews here, I've settled on two main choices:

Jagger Handmade Medium Super Badger with 21mm knot

Shavemac #25 21mm Finest Badger

Thoughts? Alternatives, in this price range?

Jeff in Boston

Last edited:
I think you're on target with the shavemac -- should be less floppy than the EJ. My 23mm shavemac in finest is a great brush -- only think I'd change would be to go with the 21mm, as you've chosen. :smile:

(The Rooneyites will be along shortly. :biggrin:)

Since you made two of these threads, let me copypasta my response:

I can already hear the Rooney 1/1 people piling into the thread...

I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend Penworks.. I have two (one's a Penchetta actually) and they're both great!

proxy.php

22mm finest badger. $54

proxy.php

20mm finest badger. $32

One of the best values in shaving IMO!

http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25&zenid=421dcd5a0f45a1f5693e559237f0a627

My vote goes to the Shavemac - while I don't have one of the Shavemac finest brushes, they get consistently good reviews and are a good bang for buck brush.

If you're not adverse to a used brush, the B&B Essential woudl be another good choice.

Yeah, I agree with the B&B essential. It's a great value IMO. I've spent a lot of money on brushes, and I've found it to be among my better values.

I think either brush would be fine. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Between the two I'd probably go with the Shavemac. I think they make a good lather a little easier than the EJ. :w00t: :tongue: :wink:

Okay. You guys convinced me what I was already thinking. I went for the Shavemac. They only had it available in the faux Ebony handle, but I can live with that.

Jeff

Excellent choice. I actually like the faux ebony better than faux ivory. The 21mm knot is a great size, and that handle is very comfortable to use.

-Andy

Congrats on making it all the way through to your purchase with out a Rooney 1/1 or a 3/1 being throw at you. That might be an accomplishment in itself. Shavemac looks pretty nice. Not sure its a compliment to your Tweezerman. The Shavemac might give it a complex and it might end up shedding more.

Top Bottom