What's new

An experiment with Lodge cast iron

The other day as I went through a local sporting goods store I came across an 8 inch Lodge cast iron skillet on sale for under twelve bucks. I have been wanting one in that size for a while, so what the heck, I bought it.

This is where the experiment began. I've taken note in several threads about cast iron of people who buy these new pre-seasoned Lodge items and then go to the effort to not only strip and re-season them, but also sand them down to smooth out the coarse surface. Figuring that Lodge would not put out a product that they claim is seasoned and ready to use if it didn't work, I decided to put it to a test.

The only thing I did to the skillet before I cooked in it was to scrub it lightly under some hot water as the tag said to. Dried it and let it set until breakfast.

What better test for nonstick than eggs? So, this morning I preheated it, dropped a pat of butter in, and once melted a couple of eggs. Cooked them sunny side up, and when done they slid right out of the skillet. Did not stick one bit!

So, the seasoning process that Lodge uses does work! A nice touch for a cast iron product. And I expect that the surface will smooth out over time as the seasoning builds with each thing I cook in it.

Cast iron is my choice also, except for a wok or wadjan.
The stuff is amazing. I have Le Creuset mostly, and I think it gets better with age.

I'm a big fan of cast iron, and use two vintage Wagner 12" skillets constantly. I also have a modern Lodge dutch oven that gets a lot of use.

It came with the factory seasoning, and it held up to two years of gumbo, sauces, soups and other acidic stuff, but when I started baking no knead bread in it at 500 degrees, after a few loaves the internal factory coating started to flake off in big black hunks.

I sanded it off with a flap disc on a die grinder, finished up with hand sanding and re-seasoned. It's doing just fine now, but I don't bake bread in it anymore.

Hm, I was planning on making no knead bread in the cast iron. Guess I'll have to use something else... Any suggestions?

Hm, I was planning on making no knead bread in the cast iron. Guess I'll have to use something else... Any suggestions?

Well, if you want the Jim Leahy no knead then you need a pot, no pun intended. If I was to buy something for it, I'd look at the porcelain coated dutch ovens pretty closely, and something smaller than a seven quart. Alternatively, you could just use the pot you have and just re-season if the factory finish comes off. Just because mine flaked off doesn't mean it'll happen every time, as I did do a lot of cooking in it first.

I bake my no knead make ahead stuff on a pizza stone, and it works fine.

Cast Iron Dutch Oven-check!

Cast Iron 12" Skillet-check!

Cast Iron 10" Grill Skillet-check!

Cast Iron Saute Pan-check!

Cast Iron Double Burner Grill-check!

I guess you can say I like cast iron!

marty

Cast Iron Dutch Oven-check!

Cast Iron Double Burner Grill-check!

I guess you can say I like cast iron!

marty

I was looking for the cast iron grill when I found the skillet. The place had only a couple of aluminum ones and one by Lodge the was a single burner D shaped thing.

Might do some no knead bread tomorrow. See how it goes in my old 4 quart cast iron pot.

Top Bottom