What's new

akkkk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I had it all picked out... it was going to be so beautiful. Then I had to go and read brush wars, and some other postings, and now I am thinking of throwing my beautiful shavemac idea out for a Rooney, all because tabac is king. Sucks to be me - now I'll go and spend 6 more weeks researching!

V

VR6ofpain

I've never tried a Rooney, but I would recommend it over a Shavemac. I was not impressed with my Shavemac (I think you already read why). I hear nothing but good things about Rooney's, especially the stubby ones.

Get a Rooney 1/1 with Super Silvertip. I actually own one. I own two custom Shavemacs as well (one D01 and one Finest). I've also owned a 501 in Finest (23mm knot/60mm loft... sold it b/c of the high loft to buy a custom). All 3 of my Shavemacs have been outstanding.

-Andy

Last edited:
I had it all picked out... it was going to be so beautiful. Then I had to go and read brush wars, and some other postings, and now I am thinking of throwing my beautiful shavemac idea out for a Rooney, all because tabac is king. Sucks to be me - now I'll go and spend 6 more weeks researching!

Sometimes the research is as fun as the buying. :smile:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just curious: as someone with what seems like extensive experience with both Rooneys and Shavemacs (including the kind I am thinking of buying), what characteristics tip the scale in favor of the Rooneys?

Just curious: as someone with what seems like extensive experience with both Rooneys and Shavemacs (including the kind I am thinking of buying), what characteristics tip the scale in favor of the Rooneys?

I don't know if this was aimed at me, but I'll answer. I don't have extensive experience with Rooneys. I've only owned one. I'd like one of the Rooney Heritage Beehives and a Rooney Finest, but I just can't justify the cost, especially for the latter.

I was really just saying you should consider a Rooney if you decide to pass on Shavemac b/c of a few peoples' bad experiences. I'd also say get a Rooney from Vintage Blades but only because I, like many others, had a good experience with them when I bought my 1/1. Additionally, there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of successfully made custom Shavemacs. They're comparable brands regarding quality.

My point is you can really only take all this advice so far. At some point you have to pull the trigger yourself, and start forming your own opinions about brushes and vendors based on personal experiences. I do, however, believe you'd be equally happy with a Rooney Super or Custom Shavemac. You may end up with one of each at some point. That's what I'd truly recommend.

My 1/1 Super is tied for 1st place as "favorite brush" with my Custom Shavemac in Finest, so I won't say one is better than the other. The Rooney is a touch less expensive and is readily available. If you have the money, I would say give a Shavemac D01 a whirl (45 to 50mm loft). You will love the handle you chose, and you'll either be amazed by or feel "meh" about the D01 hair grade. Don't like it? Sell it on the b/s/t.

My D01 is the nicest brush I own or will likely ever own. I don't intend to drop over $150 on another brush (but I haven't seen the '09LE yet...).

For the money, I think the Rooney Super and Custom Shavemac Finest-45mm loft perform the best out of the brushes I've tried (Simpson CH1 Best, Commodore X1, and Wee Scot, C&E BBB, Tweezerman, Shavemac 501 Finest-60mm loft, various boar brushes, one mixed boar/badger, B&B Essential, Medium Edwin Jagger Super).

-Andy

Andy, thank you for that thoughtful analysis.

Thank you Darjeeling Express. The OP is torn between a couple of wonderful brushes. My thoughts probably didn't help with the decision-making process, though. I was hoping to be diplomatic about the two brushes, as well as VB and Shavemac, and share my thoughts. I hope none of it came across as coarse, as that wasn't my intention at all.

Deciding on one's first really good brush can be a gut wrenching experience. I ulcerated over the handle shape and color for days before I ordered my D01 Shavemac, and after I completed the transaction with nervous mouse clicks, I wondered if I had made the right decisions. I'm sure several of us understand the feeling.

When the brush arrived and I held it in my hands, I knew it was perfect. I forgot about the myriad color/handle combinations I had rejected, and I was, and still am, extremely happy with my purchase. Perhaps the best $160 I have ever spent. I still wanted a Rooney, so after a while I bought a 1/1 Super Silvertip. It complements my Shavemac wonderfully. My Custom Finest Shavemac was an experiment. I had never seen or heard of a Custom Finest brush with a short (45mm) loft, so I did that purely in the interest of expanding the brush body of knowledge. You know; for science. :001_smile

Stress out over that first brush, then realize you can, and likely will, buy others in the future. Take a deep breath, and accept some degree of AD.

-Andy

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
That is a useful, and philosophical, perspective. I am much obliged. Still trying to learn the difference between the different "fractions" of Rooney brushes and hair grades...

Rooney Hair Grades (prices are approximate and for size 1 only):

Pure: I've never owned one. ~$40

Super Silvertip: Soft tips after break-in. Good backbone. Some find it a little scrubby. Very dense brush. I like mine a lot. ~$75

Heritage Super Silvertip (special grade): No personal experience here, but I have heard this hair grade has excellent backbone and very soft tips. Very dense brush. ~$130 (for "Stubby")

Finest: Rooney's top grade. I hear firm and scrubby. ~$200.

Please, someone correct me if any of the above descriptions are inaccurate.

-Andy

Andy's pretty much said everything that I would have, nice work pal! Next time leave some for us :lol:

To Mr. McJizzles:

D01 Shavemacs are probably my favorite brushes, but I do highly recommend the Rooney 3/1 in Super.

Why? Because it is the best value brush out there, in my opinion. While I personally didn't care for mine, no one can deny that for $75, it's an amazing brush for a bargain price.

Later on you can pick out the perfect custom Shavemac for yourself! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Andy's pretty much said everything that I would have, nice work pal! Next time leave some for us :lol:

To Mr. McJizzles:

D01 Shavemacs are probably my favorite brushes, but I do highly recommend the Rooney 3/1 in Super.

Why? Because it is the best value brush out there, in my opinion. While I personally didn't care for mine, no one can deny that for $75, it's an amazing brush for a bargain price.

Later on you can pick out the perfect custom Shavemac for yourself! :biggrin:

Ha! Sorry about that. It was a good opportunity for me to learn the Rooney line. I'm a bigger Shavemac fan. "Mr. McJizzles" actually made me laugh, btw.

-Andy

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yeah I've never really though of that as a last name. Funny. Now my quest is where to find my Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 1 (Small) as Vintage blades seems to be out of stock!!

Get a Rooney 1/1 with Super Silvertip.
-Andy
Please excuse the slight hijack...

I've been considering one of these mainly for the shortish loft. I've currently got a Vulfix 849, my first and only brush. Lathers very well, but just a bit soft.

Does anyone know if the Rooney would be about as soft, but firmer?

Please excuse the slight hijack...

I've been considering one of these mainly for the shortish loft. I've currently got a Vulfix 849, my first and only brush. Lathers very well, but just a bit soft.

Does anyone know if the Rooney would be about as soft, but firmer?

I don't know from experience, but everything I've read makes me think the Rooney will be much firmer. The Rooney tips are quite soft after break-in.

-Andy

Top Bottom