What's new

A Simple Gem Razor Hack?

Nope - just cut the end tabs off the entire DE blade. Left just a hair to hold it together. Fiddled it in so it bridged both blade stops and clamped the top down. Made sure the blade was secure and didn't move back. So I sacrificed the other sharp end. But when I was shaving with DE's I was always a once and done type of blade man. Have so many it just made sense to chuck em.

It was not as rigid as a GEM blade but it didn't seem to matter. Shaved wonderfully. You could do anything you wanted - long strokes, buffing, AGT.

Glad you found this hack useful.

I also felt that I could do anything with this razor/blade combination. It felt lighter and more nimble and I was able to work the razor quickly. It never felt threatening. I think the less rigid feel of the DE blade made for a better overall shaving experience.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had no idea Gem ever was into DE blades. So maybe they actually did make their razors so they can take a DE blade.

Actually, no. :) As @Wombat ESQ shows in his post after mine, it's not intended to be a "DE" blade, but rather a Gem blade with two edges. It wouldn't work in a DE razor, as the Gem blades are too thick to be bent in a DE head.

That's why I was careful to say, "...Gem blade with two edges..." instead of, "...double-edge..." Not the same thing at all.

O.H.

Actually, no. :) As @Wombat ESQ shows in his post after mine, it's not intended to be a "DE" blade, but rather a Gem blade with two edges. It wouldn't work in a DE razor, as the Gem blades are too thick to be bent in a DE head.

That's why I was careful to say, "...Gem blade with two edges..." instead of, "...double-edge..." Not the same thing at all.

O.H.

Gotcha!

Yes, big difference between DE blades and a blade with 2 edges.👍

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I do wonder how these vintage GEM’s shave. Take a chance. I don’t know!

Well, the vintage Gem blades were carbon steel and therefore could be honed more or less easily. People who've used the modern Treet blue steel blades tend to report they're tuggy buggers. :) Modern stainless teflon-coated three-angle grind Personna blades are evidently the best we can find. Being stainless, they are too hard to hone well. But darn fine shavers for most of us.

You could probably rehone one for use in a box knife, but getting that literally "razor sharp" edge is going to be difficult to say the least.

O.H.

Top Bottom